Forum Index > Projects > Interactive LED projects
 panel 1 is not working
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: matt () on Sunday, November 28 2010 @ 01:12 PM PST (Read 11431 times)  
Anonymous: matt

alrightly.... im going to go head and start off with, I have very little experience with soldering and circuitry before this, so the error is my behalf somewhere down the line....

first off, i read the directions to the t no skipping a step and double/triple checking myself the whole way...

first thing. after soldering most of the prongs, i notice that some aren't all the way flush to the board like the directions indicated... but i didn't think that would be much of an issue since its not too off and as long as they are soldered.

second, my soldering. ITS UGLY, i can already assure you that because i have no clue what a good solder looks like no the consequences of what will happen if its not done precisely...

thirdly... i don't have the power supply that you offer, if could very well be something as simple is that, i read the back of the laptop power supply because i forgot to order one along with my kit and figured well, everything is the same as theres as far as i can tell, so it should work... plug it in, hit the switch, nothing, no lights, no spark nothing. flipped the switch the other way as i watched in the plug in hole and noticed a tiny blue spark... then nothing again. flipped it a few times, tried a different outlet, lil spark, then nothing... im wondering if i may have shorted the switch out. hopefully i didnt screw it up completely... i know this can be fixed easily... i just have little experience with it...

now, after becoming depressed and down about this not working, i though, hey, maybe my soldering bad and had some prongs un soldered. went through them all, made sure that they were all soldered to the board, still nothing. as far as soldering goes, some of the tighter close ranged transistors, the soldering runs together on the back side.... would that cause an issue as far as shorting? is so, i have allot of soldering that run together on the backside as far as different gages...

hopefully i have supplied enough information on my royal screw up... sorry for the lame terms, im new to all of this. thanks so much. please get back to me. have a great week

By: Lenore (offline) on Monday, November 29 2010 @ 12:25 AM PST  
Lenore

Hi Matt,
I have answered your earlier email message in detail, but please note that it would be helpful if you would either email or post in the forums, but not both. Some quick answers here: yes, solder bridges will cause problems. If your power supply does not meet the required specifications, that will also cause problems.

Please take a look at the third picture in this article, which shows a comparison between good and bad solder joints:
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/soldering-101.html

Forum Scientist
Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: Anonymous: matt () on Tuesday, November 30 2010 @ 07:19 PM PST  

alright, heres an update. i desoldered the whole panel, made sure that everything looked good as far as no bridges, bought a power supply from radio shack that is the eqivalent to yours (which i overpaid for to have it now, im gonna order one from you guys and return this badboy), but its the same, plugged it up, and half of quadrent 3 let up, i was stoked, but still. nothing from the others. i fiddled with it for a little while, and noticed that if i waved my hand just right across quandrent 1, i would get a very very dim glow, then out. so, i started tinkering a bit. i pulled the chip out of the quadrent 1, and then half of quadrent 2, 3, and 4 lit up solid... still no ir led or phototransister operations... well, then i thought, theres a short somewhere because at least its working... then i lightly sat the quadrent 1 chip on top of the socket not fully engaging it, and half of all the quadrents lit up.... but still constant... if i wiggle the quadrent 1 chip, the leds that normally stay constant come on and off, and the ones that werent lighting up at all stay constant or fade in and out. but i am getting a reaction from all the leds.... where do i go from here?

i dont see any solder bridges, i replaced 1 of the sockets in quadrent 1 because i thought the prongs were bad from my first soldering attemt (which i destroyed getting out), and all the solder joints look descent and are making contant. i went back through the directions many many times making sure that i have all the leds, ir leds, and phototrasistors in the right place, the chips are facing the right polarity, i have all the resisters in the right place... i dont get it, what do you guys think it sounds like based on what i have described? thanks for you advice thus far

By: Anonymous: matt () on Tuesday, November 30 2010 @ 09:04 PM PST  

another update....

ok, i did another board, pulled the power input and switch off the first board, made sure everything was correct and soldered perfect this time, immediately, it fired up beautifully...

my only question is, its not nearly as sensitive as your panels are on the youtube video with the cat on the table. theres a part in that video when there is a light, and someone walks by and it casts a shadow on the table, and the whole panel goes off... mine, it doesnt detect my hand if its any higher then a foot... what am i doing wrong???!?

but, never the less, i am super excited that it is working... still have no clue whats wrong with panel 1.... do you think theres a short somewhere based on the post i posted above this one? thanks

By: Windell (offline) on Wednesday, December 01 2010 @ 10:18 AM PST  
Windell

Hi Matt,
Once you start desoldering components, things usually go very wrong. There may have been one or two small errors before, but there could be dozens now. My advice is that you should *never* desolder a component unless you have very good reason to suspect that that particular component is bad. Desoldering is very hard on the circuit board and components, and tends to create and hide all kinds of minor problems. If I can give some advice, it's to start with getting quadrant 1 working and move on from there. If you used an inappropriate power supply, you may well have damaged the chips-- you might try replacing them with known-good chips from the rest of your kit. If quadrant 1 is working correctly, and there are no chips in quadrants 2, 3, and 4, then the LEDs in the other three quadrants should be dim and unresponsive. Nothing should change when you wiggle it; that usually indicates a flaky connection somewhere.

As far as the responsiveness goes, you need to understand how the panels work. At short range, or in the dark, they detect reflections off of your hands. They also detect shadows from light sources containing strong infrared, such as halogen lamps and sunlight. The shadow in the video was cast by a hand moving between the panel and a halogen lamp. This type of response can be from hundreds of feet away. As it only detects infrared sources, it won't see shadows from fluorescent light or LED light.

Windell H. Oskay
drwho(at)evilmadscientist.com
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: Anonymous: matt () on Wednesday, December 01 2010 @ 10:56 AM PST  

as far as the desoldering goes, i really had no choice. its not like i pulled the whole kit apart, when i said desoldered. i was meaning i soked up the excess soldering that may have been creating shorts. like bridges and such... im going to work on building the other 2 boards since i have one fully functional, then come back to this one and see if i can figure it out... stay tuned. and thanks for the advice

By: Windell (offline) on Wednesday, December 01 2010 @ 11:24 AM PST  
Windell

its not like i pulled the whole kit apart, when i said desoldered. i was meaning i soked up the excess soldering that may have been creating shorts.

Well, that's probably okay then. If there are *any* shorts, your circuit *will not work,* and it can cause permanent damage.

It definitely sounded like you had desoldered (i.e., removed) every component-- that's a good way to end up with a brick.

Can you please say exactly what power supply you originally used? That might help point the way towards what possible damage there is.

Windell H. Oskay

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: Anonymous: matt () on Wednesday, December 01 2010 @ 12:30 PM PST  

yea, it was a laptop charger, everything was the same on it except it was only 2.0 amps. it didnt put out 2.5 like your charger states. everything else was the same on it. i went out and bought a charger equal to yours, (which im placeing an order for yours later so i can take this expensive one back) and then it started to kind of work. like i said, i made another board last night, only thing i did was take the power plug and switch off and put it on the new board, and it works nicely. i dont see any solder problems on the first one. any ideas?

By: Windell (offline) on Wednesday, December 01 2010 @ 12:38 PM PST  
Windell

Can you please give an exact spec on the charger? Model number, for example?

Our power supply is not a "charger." A "charger" may not work the same as a power supply. And, 2 A output won't damage anything.

Windell H. Oskay

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: Anonymous: matt () on Wednesday, December 01 2010 @ 12:46 PM PST  

the one thats currently working is:

Enercell 16/19vdc * 90 W AC/DC Power supply for laptops
ac input voltage: 100-240 volts ac, 50-60 hz- 2.5A
dc input voltage: 11.5 - 16 volts dc
dc output voltage: 16/19 volts DC depending on the tip
output current: Max 5.0 amps
output power: max 90 W

as far as the first one i tried, it was a power supply, not sure of the exact specifications, but i do know that everything was ok except the amps

By: Windell (offline) on Wednesday, December 01 2010 @ 01:59 PM PST  
Windell

At 19 V DC output, you won't get full functionality; there will be a significant "dead zone" between the phases showing up, and no "twinkling" in the dark.

>as far as the first one i tried, it was a power supply, not sure of the exact specifications,
>but i do know that everything was ok except the amps

My worry is this: Many DC power supplies put out *far more* voltage than they are labeled to produce; possibly enough to damage some components.

Windell H. Oskay

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: Anonymous: matt () on Wednesday, December 01 2010 @ 05:48 PM PST  

alrighty... i dont think it damaged it honestly. and that makes since about the power supply. im about to order one from you guys. i see in the product discription the regular 24 volt only power 1-3. do i need this one, US 24 V AC adapter: $22
US/Canada Small power supply (1-3 panels) , or probably most likely this one? Universal AC Adapter: $45
24 V Universal large power supply (1-12 panels)

thanks

By: squall_line (offline) on Wednesday, December 01 2010 @ 06:48 PM PST  
squall_line

If you're assembling a 4-panel kit, the larger power supply is the one that you'll need to get, based on the descriptions of the power supplies. The smaller one is only good for up to 3 panels.

Forum Mad Scientist
Mad Scientist

Iowa, USA

Profile Email    

By: Anonymous: matt () on Thursday, December 02 2010 @ 11:38 AM PST  

hopefully that will solve my problems that im having. thanks guys

By: Anonymous: matt () on Tuesday, December 07 2010 @ 01:38 PM PST  

question. do you guys have red leds? if not, can you shoot me in the direction of where i can get some red ones that are equal to the blue leds? the table design that im building i didnt think about it ahead of time, but the red and blue would look great together. i have 2 boards built with blue. waiting for a reply on the red.... thanks so much

All times are PDT. The time is now 10:45 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Evil Mad Scientist Forum Archives — Read only!

Please visit our new forums for new discussions.

DIY Hardware for Electronic Art

The Original Egg-Bot Kit

Octolively
Interactive LED kits

Meggy Jr RGB
LED matrix game
development kit.

Business-card sized
AVR target boards

Peggy 2
LED Pegboard kits

My Account