Forum Index > Projects > Interactive LED projects
 panel 1 is not working
 |  Printable Version
By: Windell (offline) on Tuesday, December 07 2010 @ 04:31 PM PST  
Windell

We do have red LEDs (lots of them), but red LEDs are not compatible with the Interactive LED Panels.

For more information about what LEDs are compatible, please see this note: http://evilmadscience.com/component/content/article/78

Windell H. Oskay
drwho(at)evilmadscientist.com
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: Anonymous: matt () on Tuesday, December 07 2010 @ 08:45 PM PST  
Anonymous: matt

would these be suitable for the panel?

http://besthongkong.com/product_info.php?cPath=75_1_52&products_id=14

By: Windell (offline) on Tuesday, December 07 2010 @ 11:34 PM PST  
Windell

It's not a matter of which red LEDs. (The red ones at our store are likely better and less expensive than those). It's simply a matter of the basic properties of red versus blue or white LEDs.

Windell H. Oskay

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: Anonymous: matt () on Wednesday, December 08 2010 @ 01:13 AM PST  

yes, i understand this. i was speaking in terms of the mcd, ma, and voltage simularities in the two components (blue, white, and then the red)... im not completely dum with it comes to this, im just new to it. i adapt quickly to new challenges and learn quickly. im just trying to understand the properties of each component and its value in establishing sufficiant power to the source.

i understand that as of right now, red or yellow, would not be the same as the white and blue led's, even if the mcd, ma, and volts, were the same. i just dont understand why, if all the major properties are the same.. i guess thats what i dont understand... im use to building computers and being able to sustitute one component for another, as long as its values are the same/equal. i guess thats where im a moron in this... i apologize if these questions are stupid... im learning..

By: Windell (offline) on Wednesday, December 08 2010 @ 01:19 AM PST  
Windell

> i just dont understand why, if all the major properties are the same..

> im use to building computers and being able to sustitute one component
>for another, as long as its values are the same/equal.

Sure. But the problem in this case is that the relevant properties are *not* the same. In our note about LED compatibility, it says that the LEDs need to have a forward voltage in the range 3.2-3.6 V. That's the case for blue, "pure" green, white, and (if you can find them) violet LEDs. Red, yellow, orange, and "yellow" green LEDs have a forward voltage from about 1.7-2.2 V.

Windell H. Oskay

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: Anonymous: matt () on Wednesday, December 08 2010 @ 12:44 PM PST  

yes, i understand the voltage isnt right, i was generally speaking, "what if, i came across the correct component guidlines in red?"

By: squall_line (offline) on Wednesday, December 08 2010 @ 01:06 PM PST  
squall_line

Quote by: matt

yes, i understand the voltage isnt right, i was generally speaking, "what if, i came across the correct component guidlines in red?"

Then, not only would you be one of the first people to find inefficient 3V Red LEDs, but you'd also be able to use them.

The voltage requirements are mostly dependent on the color spectrum. If you notice, the incompatible colors are Red, Yellow, Orange, and Yellow-Green.

"Pure Green", Violet, and Blue are all compatible.

ROY G. BIV - Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet.

See the pattern here?

It's easier to drive a diode to output the colors Red -> Yellow-Green. Thus, red lasers, red LEDs, etc. etc. etc. which have all been around for years and years. And why blue lasers, at the heart of Blu-ray Disc technology, have taken as long as they have to come to market.

You will be VERY unlikely to ever find a >3V Red LED that isn't some sort of abomination of some kind.

Forum Mad Scientist
Mad Scientist

Iowa, USA

Profile Email    

By: Anonymous: matt () on Wednesday, December 08 2010 @ 06:49 PM PST  

understood. didnt think about it in a blu ray reader term. thanks

By: Anonymous: matt () on Monday, December 13 2010 @ 10:35 PM PST  

i have good news and simi good news. the good news is, when i received the proper power supply in the mail the other day, i already had 3 panels complete (including the first one that i thought i had royally screwed up), plugged all three up, all the led's in all panels lit up like they are suppose too. more bight, more vibrant, more responsive... however, the simi good news, my first panel that i was having all the problems with, i have a question about it, and the one i finished up tonight.

question 1 about the first panel i screwed up thats now working: on this panel, everything reacts like its suppose to, except for quadrent 3. is non responsive to motion, however it does stay lit... it doesnt fade, dim, flicker, nothing, just stays lit. quadrent 1, 2, and 4 all act as they are suppose too.

question 2 about the 4th and final panel i finished up tonight: all quadrents are working properly except for quadrent 1. D100-D109 are non responsive to motion, however, D105 and D107 are barely lighting and dimming. its hard to tell if the rest of quadrent 1 is working or if its just the lights from the others around it.

with the information ive provided, do you think you can shoot me in the right direction to start trouble shooting? thanks for all your helps guys

matt

By: Anonymous: matt () on Monday, December 13 2010 @ 10:55 PM PST  

one more thing, after posting the reply before this, i went down stairs after reading through some of the forum with other peoples problems. i checked my polarity marks on everything, and i checked my solders, everything looked good... still dunno. but my question here is, on the first panel that im still having all the issues with, i did an experiment with lights on vs off. dunno if this will help you help me narrow my problems down, but for some reason with the lights on, the first panel that i messed up, it acts more vibrantely bright, more responsive, ect. in the dark it doesnt respond as well as the rest of the panels.... thought that this may help you help me narrow it down... thanks guys

By: Windell (offline) on Tuesday, December 14 2010 @ 05:04 AM PST  
Windell

question 1 about the first panel i screwed up thats now working: on this panel, everything reacts like its suppose to, except for quadrent 3. is non responsive to motion, however it does stay lit... it doesnt fade, dim, flicker, nothing, just stays lit. quadrent 1, 2, and 4 all act as they are suppose too.

That sounds like progress. Can you describe how it does stay lit? Are all of the LEDs on but dim, or is it railed one way or the other?

question 2 about the 4th and final panel i finished up tonight: all quadrents are working properly except for quadrent 1. D100-D109 are non responsive to motion, however, D105 and D107 are barely lighting and dimming. its hard to tell if the rest of quadrent 1 is working or if its just the lights from the others around it.

Is the lower half of the quadrant operating correctly? If so, check the soldering at the chip, particularly the three pins on the upper right (as viewed from the top) as well as R107 and R108.

Windell H. Oskay

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

All times are PDT. The time is now 11:00 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Evil Mad Scientist Forum Archives — Read only!

Please visit our new forums for new discussions.

DIY Hardware for Electronic Art

The Original Egg-Bot Kit

Octolively
Interactive LED kits

Meggy Jr RGB
LED matrix game
development kit.

Business-card sized
AVR target boards

Peggy 2
LED Pegboard kits

My Account