Forum Index > Projects > Clock Kits
 after reuploading beady2 my clock is not working propperly
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: Meviar () on Thursday, October 06 2011 @ 10:28 AM PDT  
Anonymous: Meviar

I know what the problem is but not how to solve it

when clock starts at 7:33:00 does a full round it prints 7:33:30 the problem is that is ask the time 2 times to early it should be 7:34:00 its looks likes the bulbdial has a delay issue.

The rtc is not the problem it worked before and i tested it with 2 ds1307 rtcs

By: Windell (offline) on Thursday, October 06 2011 @ 11:27 AM PDT  
Windell

When i remove the battery form the rtc so its time get resetted to 0 and plug it in and set the time with the bulbdial is does the same weird thing.

That does not answer the question. The question is whether the RTC time is being set correctly by the bulbdial-- which would mean that you manually change the time on the bulbdial, and see if it's accepted by the RTC. Try, for example, changing the hours. Then, when the bulbdial reads out from the RTC, does it change the hours displayed (indicating that the RTC *does not* have the new time set, or does it just change the seconds?

>I dont understand it worked perfect before i re-uploaded the code

And, as I understand it, it's working perfectly when you don't have the RTC connected.

>Im thinking of buying a new atmega168 with a chronodot.

I would not recommend this; if it's really a software issue or an issue with your RTC, you're more likely to end up with additional issues rather than a solution.

Can you explain it to me then, so that I can try to fix it? I've been having a very hard time following your explanations.

when clock starts at 7:33:00 does a full round it prints 7:33:30 the problem is that is ask the
time 2 times to early it should be 7:34:00 its looks likes the bulbdial has a delay issue.

I cannot understand what you're trying to say here. Can you rephrase, carefully explaining the situation?

Windell H. Oskay
drwho(at)evilmadscientist.com
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: Anonymous: Meviar () on Friday, October 07 2011 @ 06:06 AM PDT  

Quote by: Windell

When i remove the battery form the rtc so its time get resetted to 0 and plug it in and set the time with the bulbdial is does the same weird thing.

That does not answer the question. The question is whether the RTC time is being set correctly by the bulbdial-- which would mean that you manually change the time on the bulbdial, and see if it's accepted by the RTC. Try, for example, changing the hours. Then, when the bulbdial reads out from the RTC, does it change the hours displayed (indicating that the RTC *does not* have the new time set, or does it just change the seconds?

>I dont understand it worked perfect before i re-uploaded the code

And, as I understand it, it's working perfectly when you don't have the RTC connected.

>Im thinking of buying a new atmega168 with a chronodot.

I would not recommend this; if it's really a software issue or an issue with your RTC, you're more likely to end up with additional issues rather than a solution.

Can you explain it to me then, so that I can try to fix it? I've been having a very hard time following your explanations.

when clock starts at 7:33:00 does a full round it prints 7:33:30 the problem is that is ask the
time 2 times to early it should be 7:34:00 its looks likes the bulbdial has a delay issue.

I cannot understand what you're trying to say here. Can you rephrase, carefully explaining the situation?

The time is set correctly when i set it manual.

I cannot understand what you're trying to say here. Can you rephrase, carefully explaining the situation?[/p][/QUOTE]

I mean that when i power the clock and its for example 7:32:00 the clock starts at 7:32:00 after 60 seconds (a full round) it should get 7:33:00 from the rtc but instead it
get 7:32:30

The time it should get is divided by 2 (60/2 = 30).

Thats why i think there is a delay issue

By: Windell (offline) on Saturday, October 08 2011 @ 01:03 PM PDT  
Windell

I don't understand how that's a "delay" issue, or what kind of delay might cause that behavior.

I have tried reprogramming a Bulbdial clock here, using the Beady2 program, and Arduino 22. So far as I can tell, it is reading out from the Chronodot correctly, not jumping around in time or anything like that. It appears that the code is working correctly for readout from the RTC, with the current version of Arduino and the included libraries (plus the "old" datetime library of course).

So, what's wrong with yours? Either (a) the RTC board has an issue (b) the RTC board is not compatible (c) there is a problem with solder connections on the Bulbdial, (d) there is a problem with the connections between the Bulbdial and the RTC, or (e) there is some (as yet unstated) difference between your programming setup and mine. I don't see what else it could be.

Windell H. Oskay

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: Anonymous: Meviar () on Sunday, October 09 2011 @ 03:54 AM PDT  

Quote by: Windell

I don't understand how that's a "delay" issue, or what kind of delay might cause that behavior.

I have tried reprogramming a Bulbdial clock here, using the Beady2 program, and Arduino 22. So far as I can tell, it is reading out from the Chronodot correctly, not jumping around in time or anything like that. It appears that the code is working correctly for readout from the RTC, with the current version of Arduino and the included libraries (plus the "old" datetime library of course).

So, what's wrong with yours? Either (a) the RTC board has an issue (b) the RTC board is not compatible (c) there is a problem with solder connections on the Bulbdial, (d) there is a problem with the connections between the Bulbdial and the RTC, or (e) there is some (as yet unstated) difference between your programming setup and mine. I don't see what else it could be.

Thankyou for your good support.

Im using the following beady 2 version from http://wiki.evilmadscience.com/Bulbdial

http://www.evilmadscientist.com/source/Beady2.pde

Im gonna inspect my bulbdial trying to figure out whats the problem in the meantime i just dont unplug the clock.

By: Anonymous: Meviar () on Sunday, October 09 2011 @ 05:59 AM PDT  

I bought my bulbdial clock kit 3-4 weeks ago from sparkfun.com

It was one of the lastest they had(3)

Maybe the code on that atmega168 was so old that it was compatible with the ds1307?

By: Anonymous: Meviar () on Sunday, October 09 2011 @ 08:42 AM PDT  

Breakthrough

I did not used the clock since it started acting weird.

When i started using the clock again with the rtc removed i noticed that the time is running to fast.

Example:

Set time at 17:00 wait 15 minutes and the time is 17:30 its running almost 2 times to fast since i re-uploaded the code?

Did you ever heard of this problem before?

Did the re-programming damaged something in my clock?

I use a 5v ftdi adapter from sparkfun.

By: Windell (offline) on Sunday, October 09 2011 @ 02:53 PM PDT  
Windell

Set time at 17:00 wait 15 minutes and the time is 17:30 its running almost 2 times to fast since i re-uploaded the code?

Good-- it sounds like you've found the root problem-- and it's not RTC related! This could definitely cause a "running twice as fast" problem if Arduino thinks that your clock is running with an 8 MHz crystal, because it's actually running with a 16 MHz crystal.

In the Arduino program, what do you have selected as the "Board" type? If you had, for example, the Arduino Pro 8 MHz selected, then it would tell the program that it was running at 8 MHz (while the crystal is still running at 16 MHz). The correct setting should be Duemilanove with ATmega328. Try choosing that setting, and reprogramming the clock. Let me know how it works out. Big Grin

Windell H. Oskay

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: Anonymous: Meviar () on Sunday, October 09 2011 @ 11:46 PM PDT  

I chose amega168 lilypad for programming the clock

I dont know why i did not saw the right option....

By: Anonymous: Meviar () on Sunday, October 09 2011 @ 11:59 PM PDT  

Thankyou for your help and patience Big Grin

Now my ds1307 works again.

All times are PDT. The time is now 08:42 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Evil Mad Scientist Forum Archives — Read only!

Please visit our new forums for new discussions.

DIY Hardware for Electronic Art

The Original Egg-Bot Kit

Octolively
Interactive LED kits

Meggy Jr RGB
LED matrix game
development kit.

Business-card sized
AVR target boards

Peggy 2
LED Pegboard kits

My Account