Forum Index > Projects > Micro-readerboard project support
 super-cheap 14-segment displays
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: Dr. Memory () on Wednesday, September 12 2007 @ 11:00 AM PDT (Read 6130 times)  
Anonymous: Dr. Memory

(as of 9/12/07) Electronics Goldmine is selling 20-piece tubes of IEE 3585R dual 14-segment displays for $15! That's only $0.38 per character!

look here: http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G16464

The catch? They're matrixed 7x2 (per digit), so you have to "charlieplex" them. But hey, that's cool, because that means with just an attiny2313 we should be able to do 6 characters with no extra parts and still have enough pins for two buttons.

You could do a nice 6-digit clock or scrolling display with very few parts.

I wonder, would you have enough time for refresh if you used a 32 khz watch crystal?

If anyone is interested I have figured out the pinout on this part. I could not find a datasheet online for it.

drmemory
@
matrixwide
com

By: Windell (offline) on Wednesday, September 12 2007 @ 02:28 PM PDT  
Windell

That is an excellent price. A 32 kHz crystal *might* be adequate if you're clever with your source code. I try to keep my refresh rate above 500 Hz; lower than that tends to bother me.

The only thing that I would worry about is that these displays are probably not very bright-- running each segment with low duty cycle may not make the overall display bright enough to read, depending on circumstances-- but, you'll have to be the judge of that.

(I have worked with some 17-segment displays in the past that were not really readable if you multiplexed them at all-- they had to be driven in parallel.)

Windell H. Oskay
drwho(at)evilmadscientist.com
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: Anonymous: Dr. Memory () on Friday, September 28 2007 @ 10:47 AM PDT  
Anonymous: Dr. Memory

You're correct, they're not super bright. I've only gotten as far as figuring out the pinout. I don't know how they look when multiplexed. Can't be too awful since that's the only way they can be used.

TANSTAAFL ;-)

All times are PDT. The time is now 10:59 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Evil Mad Scientist Forum Archives — Read only!

Please visit our new forums for new discussions.

DIY Hardware for Electronic Art

The Original Egg-Bot Kit

Octolively
Interactive LED kits

Meggy Jr RGB
LED matrix game
development kit.

Business-card sized
AVR target boards

Peggy 2
LED Pegboard kits

My Account