Forum Index > General > Project idea suggestion box
 Matter energy convershion ? /intro
 |  Printable Version
By: microsoft_admin (offline) on Wednesday, October 03 2007 @ 02:17 AM PDT (Read 10802 times)  
microsoft_admin

Hi all my name is jonathon i am 19 and i have aspergersers syndrome (its a form of high functining autisim)
now i have no science qualifications apart from a c+ in gcse science from about 2 years ago but i am really in to science

i have an idea

while im not so good at the maths of physics i understand some of the basic ( and not so basic) prinicples behind it

my idea comes from star trek

its nothing as fancy as the (Beam me up scotty) transporter but it could probbibly convert the matter of a human to energy non the less

So what is it

well from how i understand physics and quantum mechanics and all that side of science

matter is held together by something now i cant remember of the top of my head if it is electromagnetic fourses, particles or somethingelse but if you could some how disrupt the nature of whatever it is that holds matter together there would be a release of high energy radiation, particles and energy

the entire reaction could be containt using electro magnetic fields

now if matter is held together by electro magnetic forces the way to break matter up would be to identify and polerisation of the em foources and reverse the polarity

if matter is held together by particles then you could break it up by identifying the particle type that hold matter together and then locating and identifying that particles anti particle and smashing that particle type in to matter

if matter is held together by something else, string's maybe? then the awnser would be to find out what it is

i dont exactlyt know if im making any sense here but alot of what ive learnt about quantum mechanics and physics is from star trek, and since star trek is based on the real science of the univers and simply exagirated i can only assume that scientist's just dont know how to implament the some of the things we see in star trek

having said that they have finally started doing propper research in to M/AMR's so things look hopefull from star trek

Forum Apprentice
Apprentice

Profile Email    

By: Windell (offline) on Wednesday, October 03 2007 @ 09:55 AM PDT  
Windell

Hmm. Good thing that I'm a qualified quantum mechanic and I can reassure you that what you are suggesting is NOT POSSIBLE.

And thank goodness. One way to describe the results of screwing with the polarity of fundamental particles is well summarized in the movie Ghostbusters: "Try to imagine all life as we know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light."

That's "bad," by the way.

Windell H. Oskay
drwho(at)evilmadscientist.com
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: microsoft_admin (offline) on Tuesday, October 09 2007 @ 01:34 AM PDT  
microsoft_admin

OH WOW i never talked to a quantum mechanic before

cool

from what i know of it it involves a lot of mathmatics and since i have the number vershiopn of dyslexia (discalculia) im not good at basic maths, so thank god i can use a calculator lol

i am however much bettor at maths that dont use numbers so much, so like the maths involved in quantim mechanics i can understand bits of that

like i know what sin and cosin are

sin is short for sine wave and co sine also part of the same thing
im no expert with maths though just no littile bits of it
sin and cosin are part of triganomatry and have something to do with a tangent i think

but anyway my lack of maths skills is beside the point.

i have a million questions
is it true that strings can exsist ?
how come string theroy is impossible to proove?
does subspace really have a theoretical infanite number of domains ?
what about paralelel universe's can they exsist on another? dimenshonal plain out side our space time continuem ?

well the matter energy convershion thingy idea might not be so realistic but i have another idea (see my other post

Forum Apprentice
Apprentice

Profile Email    

By: Windell (offline) on Tuesday, October 09 2007 @ 01:43 AM PDT  
Windell

Quote by: microsoft_admin

what about paralelel universe's can they exsist on another? dimenshonal plain out side our space time continuem ?

Of course strings exist. My cat likes to play with them.

Fundamental strings, we will probably never know the answer-- the experiments to test it are not possible with the technologies that we will have in the near future. So far as I know, subspace only exists in Star Trek. Parallel universes and dimensions are fine philosophical tools-- but not very useful to hop between. Mathematics works better to describe probability.

Windell H. Oskay

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: microsoft_admin (offline) on Tuesday, October 09 2007 @ 02:38 AM PDT  
microsoft_admin

Quote by: Windell

Of course strings exist. My cat likes to play with them.

Fundamental strings, we will probably never know the answer-- the experiments to test it are not possible with the technologies that we will have in the near future. So far as I know, subspace only exists in Star Trek. Parallel universes and dimensions are fine philosophical tools-- but not very useful to hop between. Mathematics works better to describe probability.

wow cool your online

would it not be possible to test for fundemental strings using a device similer to a guitar tunar only manyu many more times powerful ??
afterall strins osilate and vibrate just like the stings on stringed instriments

Forum Apprentice
Apprentice

Profile Email    

By: Windell (offline) on Tuesday, October 09 2007 @ 12:36 PM PDT  
Windell

would it not be possible to test for fundemental strings using a device similer to a guitar tunar only manyu many more times powerful ??
afterall strins osilate and vibrate just like the stings on stringed instriments

The difference is what is vibrating-- it's not much like a guitar string. If it were possible to test these things easily, it would be done. The big problem with most string theory work is that it is not looking for testable consequences.... (There is a lot of interesting physics, but imho string theory is not one of those fields.)

Windell H. Oskay

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: microsoft_admin (offline) on Tuesday, October 23 2007 @ 07:12 AM PDT  
microsoft_admin

windell is ittruee what they say about quantum physics

if you have to shoes and 2 shoe boxes and put 1 shoe in each shoe box then put the lid on both boxes nither shoe exsits
and if you then remove lid of one box that both shoes esist ???

if this is true could you explain this to me some more

Forum Apprentice
Apprentice

Profile Email    

By: Windell (offline) on Tuesday, October 23 2007 @ 09:21 AM PDT  
Windell

Some of what they say about quantum physics is true. Wink

if you have to shoes and 2 shoe boxes and put 1 shoe in each shoe box then put the lid on both boxes nither shoe exsits
and if you then remove lid of one box that both shoes esist ??? [/p]

Actually, I wouldn't say that it was accurate. I fully expect that if I put my shoes in boxes they stay there. (There is, of course, an astronomically small probability that they should suddenly disappear and reappear somewhere else in the universe, but the odds of that happening are so low as to be essentially impossible. Eek! )

Windell H. Oskay

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: PixelFreak (offline) on Monday, November 10 2008 @ 02:03 AM PST  
PixelFreak

and if you then remove lid of one box that both shoes esist ???

if this is true could you explain this to me some more

The thing (there are many) I've never understood, is the act of observing something causes the probabilty wave to collapse, as in the experiment with the cat. But what does observe mean ?

Also, how do you get a cat into a box ?

Forum Apprentice
Apprentice

Brisbane, Australia

Profile Email Website  

By: Windell (offline) on Monday, November 10 2008 @ 02:14 AM PST  
Windell

The thing (there are many) I've never understood, is the act of observing something causes the probabilty wave to collapse, as in the experiment with the cat. But what does observe mean ?

To observe a system, you perform tests that carry away information about the state of the system. For example, to test to see if an atom is an excited state, you could send a photon towards it. The photon would carry away some information about the state. It doesn't actually matter whether a human is there to collect this information; it's just the simple act of extracting information about the system that causes the collapse. For a box, "looking inside" means any measurement (whether performed by a human or by the environment) that carries away any information about the state of the contents.

Also, how do you get a cat into a box ?

Usually just open the lid. They will jump right in. Cats love boxes.

Windell H. Oskay

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

All times are PDT. The time is now 07:38 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Evil Mad Scientist Forum Archives — Read only!

Please visit our new forums for new discussions.

DIY Hardware for Electronic Art

The Original Egg-Bot Kit

Octolively
Interactive LED kits

Meggy Jr RGB
LED matrix game
development kit.

Business-card sized
AVR target boards

Peggy 2
LED Pegboard kits

My Account