Forum Index > Projects > Interactive LED projects
 LED table level of difficulty?
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: Andy in Vermont () on Thursday, October 04 2007 @ 07:10 AM PDT (Read 7736 times)  
Anonymous: Andy in Vermont

Hey guys. I'm loving the LED table and would love to create my own from one of your kits. I have virtually no understanding or knowledge of circuit boards... resistors.. etc. However, I'm interested in learning, and can follow clear directions quite well as long as the directions don't make any assumptions regarding the builder's skill level. Heck, I managed to solder a chip on my Wii... would this be much harder? (aside from the obvious scope of the project)

Would it be possible to see assembly instructions before purchase? (if so, pls send to ungawa73 **@** yahoo dot com.)

Thanks! -Andy

By: Windell (offline) on Thursday, October 04 2007 @ 10:48 AM PDT  
Windell

Boilerplate on this subject: Our kits are electronic soldering kits that require soldering tools, effort, and time to assemble. The LED tables take me, a skilled hobbyist, about one hour per panel. You should have prior experience with soldering electronic components. There is not any step in assembly that is more challenging than those found in basic "learn to solder" type kits-- but there are many components to solder into the boards.

The chips in your Wii are a heck of a lot harder to solder than any of the ones in our kits. Ours are all through-hole construction-- no surface mount.

I'm still finalizing instructions, but yes you can see them before you decide to order... it may be another few days before I'm ready to send them out as a PDF. (You can also just go ahead and ask for a reservation now to ensure a place in line, and cancel f you don't like the instructions when you do see them. Payment is due when your kit is ready, so you won't be out anything.)

Windell H. Oskay
drwho(at)evilmadscientist.com
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: Anonymous: Inquisitive Andy Again () on Friday, October 05 2007 @ 07:17 AM PDT  
Anonymous: Inquisitive Andy Again

Very cool Windell. Thanks so much for the quick reply. I just might have an order into you guys soon for a kit. I'm no electrician or carpenter... but it should be a fun project. I'm currently planning on making a type of case for the electronics that I will fasten onto the top of an existing coffee table I own. That way... I could feasibly also choose to hang it on a wall if the coffee table gets too annoying. I think it would be neat to have mounted in a high traffic hallway and have it light up as people walk by. Smile Again, bravo on the idea.

Do you have the flexibility to arrange the tiles in a 1x1x1x1x.. manner instead of 2 wide? 3x3 etc?

Would it be possible to see what the bottom of one of these boards looks like with the components attached? Nothing that would give away your design.. but enough for an idea of what's under all the pretty lights? Also what do the black circuit boards look like? Power supply? (or approx size)

Is this product just hitting the net? Or am I just more inquisitive than 99.9% of the world? Laughing Out Loud I can see that you guys are doing your best to field questions on youtube... but that's not a very ideal discussion method.

By: Windell (offline) on Friday, October 05 2007 @ 12:20 PM PDT  
Windell

Do you have the flexibility to arrange the tiles in a 1x1x1x1x.. manner instead of 2 wide? 3x3 etc?

Yes, any rectangular arrangement will work very easily. For example, 4x2, 2x4, 1x8 and 8x1 are all just fine ways to arrange 8 boards.

Would it be possible to see what the bottom of one of these boards looks like with the components attached?

Heh. I don't actually have a picture like that... there isn't much to take a picture of; everything is on the top. The only components on the bottom side of the boards are the power jack and the power switch... and those only show up on one board per table. Most boards have nothing at all on the bottom.

Also what do the black circuit boards look like?

I won't have them in hand until early November. When I do, I'll post pictures. The best approximation that I can give you is to show you other boards made with the same process, white silkscreen over black soldermask. Here's a well known example of a PCB made that way; look at the close-up to see the white silkscreen: Picture 1, Picture 2, Closeup.

Is this product just hitting the net? Or am I just more inquisitive than 99.9% of the world?

The kits were just announced last week, and the first one shipped today. =) (Most of our inquiries have been through E-mail-- which I'm far from caught up on. I would of course prefer it if they were here, so I'd have to type less.)

I can see that you guys are doing your best to field questions on youtube... but that's not a very ideal discussion method

No fooling!

Windell H. Oskay

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: Anonymous: Solderin' Fool () on Friday, October 05 2007 @ 03:28 PM PDT  
Anonymous: Solderin' Fool

Quote by: Windell

Also what do the black circuit boards look like?

I won't have them in hand until early November. When I do, I'll post pictures. The best approximation that I can give you is to show you other boards made with the same process, white silkscreen over black soldermask.

Wait - black circuit boards? That's the first mention I've seen of it... is that also going to be an option for the LED table kits? (I saw the table at Maker Faire in San Mateo. The current uncolored PCB looks fantastic with blond and light wood, but against a darker wood, or against a black painted finish, the black soldermask boards would be perfect!)

By: Windell (offline) on Friday, October 05 2007 @ 05:04 PM PDT  
Windell

Wait - black circuit boards? That's the first mention I've seen of it... is that also going to be an option for the LED table kits? (I saw the table at Maker Faire in San Mateo. The current uncolored PCB looks fantastic with blond and light wood, but against a darker wood, or against a black painted finish, the black soldermask boards would be perfect!)

Yeah, we like the natural circuit boards as well, but public opinion (as expressed on YouTube) is firmly against circuits that you can see. (Go figure.) We'll be offering black circuit boards as an available option for $50 extra per kit, for kits which are scheduled to ship in November or later.

Windell H. Oskay

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: Anonymous: kingred () on Friday, October 12 2007 @ 12:09 AM PDT  
Anonymous: kingred

yeah you can always use different coloured pens to colour the board with Laughing Out Loud

All times are PDT. The time is now 09:06 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Evil Mad Scientist Forum Archives — Read only!

Please visit our new forums for new discussions.

DIY Hardware for Electronic Art

The Original Egg-Bot Kit

Octolively
Interactive LED kits

Meggy Jr RGB
LED matrix game
development kit.

Business-card sized
AVR target boards

Peggy 2
LED Pegboard kits

My Account