Forum Index > General > Where the heck do you get a ....
 Purchasing fine electrical solder in Toronto
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: Guest () on Wednesday, May 27 2009 @ 06:55 AM PDT (Read 6825 times)  
Anonymous: Guest

Hello all,

I've recently procured a Meggy Jr kit, and I've been trying to find a place where I can purchase fine electrical solder (in the diameter range of 0.020" to 0.040" as suggested in the Meggy Jr's assembly instructions) in Toronto; however, stores like Home Depot and Canadian Tire only stock one type of electrical solder, a Benzomatic brand that's 0.062" in diameter. If anyone knows where I might be able to procure a finer variety of electrical solder in Toronto, I'd appreciate the info.

Thanks!

By: Windell (offline) on Wednesday, May 27 2009 @ 04:34 PM PDT  
Windell

In a pinch, that will do. But, understand that you should try to use it sparingly, and appreciate that the amount of heat needed to melt that is more than you'd really like, so be quick.

You may need to look in the phone book (or similar) to find the local equivalent of an electronics shop. Hobby oriented stores often sell soldering supplies as well. Toronto is a big city -- there are a bunch of obvious choices.
How about...

EfstonScience Inc.
3350 Dufferin Street
Toronto, Ontario
Canada

http://www.eScience.ca/ ?

Windell H. Oskay
drwho(at)evilmadscientist.com
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: Anonymous: Guest () on Saturday, June 13 2009 @ 10:34 AM PDT  
Anonymous: Guest

Thanks for the suggestion, Windell. Just to follow up on this for anyone else in Toronto looking for solder to assemble the Meggy Jr, Efston Science does indeed sell small diameter solder, although you need to order it specially (they don't actually have it in stock) and the quantities available are rather large. I ended up procuring solder from a small store called Creatron, located in downtown Toronto. Creatron has small quantities of 0.025" solder available for $0.75 per bag, and one of these bags contains more than enough solder to assemble the Meggy Jr.

By: karlgg (offline) on Sunday, June 14 2009 @ 10:15 AM PDT  
karlgg

Hey, they have Boarduinos there... Too bad they took all the fun out of assembling them yourself, or you'd have another use for that solder you bought. Smile

On a side note: Touchy over-sized laptop touchpads can leave you posting horribly incomplete sentences. Cruel fate for us grammar "enthusiasts".

I think I am, therefore I am... I think
Forum Mad Scientist
Mad Scientist

Profile Email    

All times are PDT. The time is now 11:55 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Evil Mad Scientist Forum Archives — Read only!

Please visit our new forums for new discussions.

DIY Hardware for Electronic Art

The Original Egg-Bot Kit

Octolively
Interactive LED kits

Meggy Jr RGB
LED matrix game
development kit.

Business-card sized
AVR target boards

Peggy 2
LED Pegboard kits

My Account