Forum Index > Projects > LED Pegboard and Matrix Projects
 meggy jr, usb serial, & win xp
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: zenkat () on Tuesday, June 02 2009 @ 10:06 PM PDT (Read 6403 times)  
Anonymous: zenkat

Hi ... I'm back ...

So, I'm trying to get my USB Serial Cable to work. Just to be clear up front, I'm doing this from a Toshiba Satellite laptop running Win XP Home SP3 with a Intel Pentium M, and the Arduino 0015-win package.

Unfortunately, the instructions don't seem to describe the behavior of this particular system. ;-)

When I plug in the USB cable included with the kit, I get a "New Hardware Found" message. First time around, I canceled this, since it wasn't mentioned in the instructions, and WinXP complained about "USB Device Not Recognized". In the Arduino IDE, I could load the MeggyBrite package and verify it, but the only serial port I was offered was COM3 -- which is also offered when the USB cable is not plugged in. When I tried to upload to the board, however, I got:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x30.
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

This happens if the Meggy Jr is on or off. (BTW, which is it supposed to be during loading? It's not clear ... wait, nevermind ... I see it in the forum. It should be on.)

I looked around and saw that this was driven by FTDI , and downloaded the VCP drivers for USB into a folder in my Firefox downloads page. After I rebooted my machine, when I next plugged in the USB, I allowed the New Hardware Found wizard to go and autoinstall the drivers it needed.

Next time I started Arduino, I had both a "COM3" and "COM4" under Tools-->Serial Port. I chose COM4, and got different behavior when I tried to load to the board ... this time, the Ardunio environment hung (ie, no paint refresh cycle) for about 20 mins, until I closed it.

BTW, I also found the note on doing the:

Device Manager - Comm Ports - USB Serial Port -
Port Settings - Advanced button - Set RTS On Close

drill. However, my Device Manager doesn't have a "Comm Ports" option. I Can find "USB Serial Port" under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" (at least, once I installed the drivers I can), but there is no "Port Settings" option available.

Gonna try again ... but need to reboot, it seems, to get the USB cable recognized again ...

Any help or hints are very much appreciated!

Brian

PS -- I am also trying to work through this post ... http://www.evilmadscientist.com/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=859

By: Windell (offline) on Wednesday, June 03 2009 @ 03:00 AM PDT  
Windell

Meggy Jr RGB needs to be powered on and working properly (e.g., playing the game) when you try to reprogram it.

One of the things that you should see when you've got the computer talking to the correct serial port, and the cable plugged in correctly is that Meggy Jr will restart-- go blank and/or go to the splashscreen -- when you begin the programming sequence. This is a "necessary but not sufficient" condition for reprogramming: you need to get your software talking to the correct serial port.

Anything up to this point is an "FTDI" issue and or an XP issue, and would be common to any Arduino-compatible system. I'd suggest looking at the many resources available on the Arduino site ( http://arduino.cc/ ); the troubleshooting guides and forum.

Windell H. Oskay
drwho(at)evilmadscientist.com
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: Anonymous: zenkat () on Sunday, June 14 2009 @ 05:58 PM PDT  

Hi Windell --

So, I've gone through all of the arduino sites & forums, and I'm still having trouble getting my computer to recognize my usb serial port and/or meggy.

I've tried uninstalling / reinstalling drivers. No luck. Tried my mac. No luck.

Could anything physical be at fault? I already know I blew some of the connections when I soldered it together (see the c2 & c6 discussion thread), so I'm wondering if I might have blown something on the USB connection as well. Or could the USB-TTL cable be bad?

Any advice is most appreciated. Killer Tomatoes is fun, but I was hoping to be able to program it to do even more amazing things. ;-)

By: karlgg (offline) on Monday, June 15 2009 @ 12:22 AM PDT  
karlgg

The "Ports (COM & LPT)" category in the Device Manager should show up as soon as you plug in the FTDI cable. The USB device is inside the cable, so your soldering job shouldn't affect THAT part...

When you reboot and the USB is recognized again, check the Device Manager for "Ports" again. If it shows up this time, do the "Set RTS on close" thing. What happens after that?

I think I am, therefore I am... I think
Forum Mad Scientist
Mad Scientist

Profile Email    

By: Windell (offline) on Monday, June 15 2009 @ 09:22 AM PDT  
Windell

On a mac it's a little easier to verify that the cable is plugged in and communicating correctly.

When your cable is plugged in, from the Arduino environment, you should see options in the serial port menu similar to:

/dev/cu.usbserial-FTDPZNE9
/dev/tty.usbserial-FTDPZNE9

The device signature at the end of those lines vary from cable to cable.

You can also check to see if the OS recognizes the cable by opening the terminal and tying:
ls /dev | grep usbserial <return>

Which should return something like:

cu.usbserial-FTDPZNE9
tty.usbserial-FTDPZNE9

if the cable is plugged in and recognized.

Windell H. Oskay

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: Anonymous: zenkat () on Monday, June 15 2009 @ 09:26 PM PDT  

Windell --

Many thanks. I suspect I have a bad FTDI cable. I've seen indications on the Arduino forums that sometimes they send out a bad cable.

On my Mac, 'ls /dev | grep usb' always returns nothing.

On my WinXP box, the "Ports (COM & LPT)" category in the Device Manager never shows up.

I'm going to order another one, and see if it does the trick. Thanks for the pointers!

Brian

By: Windell (offline) on Monday, June 15 2009 @ 10:20 PM PDT  
Windell

That is odd indeed. I have not come across a bad one (yet) and I have not managed to kill one (yet) despite plugging them in backwards regularly. I wonder if there might have been a static issue... or did anything else surprising happen? (Or are they really shipping bad ones?)

In any case, you might try re-installing the FTDI VCP drivers before giving up entirely.

Windell H. Oskay

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: Anonymous: zenkat () on Thursday, June 25 2009 @ 11:35 AM PDT  

Hi Windell --

The new cable came in the mail today. Plugged it in, and everything works fine (on my Mac, at least). Both /dev/cu.usbserial-FTE566JV and /dev/tty.usbserial-FTE566JV show up in Terminal as well as under the Serial Ports menu.

Loaded the Custom Colors app on to the Meggy, no problem.

Now, on to custom apps!

Thanks for the pointers in tracking down the problem. (I recognize that the FTDI is not under your control, and that all manufactured components have a failure rate ...)

All good!

Brian

All times are PDT. The time is now 02:29 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Evil Mad Scientist Forum Archives — Read only!

Please visit our new forums for new discussions.

DIY Hardware for Electronic Art

The Original Egg-Bot Kit

Octolively
Interactive LED kits

Meggy Jr RGB
LED matrix game
development kit.

Business-card sized
AVR target boards

Peggy 2
LED Pegboard kits

My Account