Forum Index > Projects > LED Pegboard and Matrix Projects
 "The Bubbles From Outer Space" for MeggyJr
 |  Printable Version
By: karlgg (offline) on Tuesday, June 23 2009 @ 01:14 PM PDT (Read 4007 times)  
karlgg

This is a (somewhat improved) version of a game I originally wrote for the EGA-mode PC in GWBASIC, around 1990. Since XP came out (and killed DOS interrupts) I've been meaning to redo it and add some new features.

Yellow dots (Bubbles) drift lazily down the screen from above, towards the ground below. Move the red dot to aim, press "A" to fire. Later levels (5 and up) have a "Superweapon" (button "B" ) for when bubbles slip past you. At level 10, you start getting extra lives. Fairly simple. And there's a "demo" inactivity mode if you just want to watch.

Planned:
Better sound & music. These are mostly just thrown in for placeholders. I may also add a background tune, if the urge really gets me going. Brendon Small's "Starboy and the Captain of Outer Space" might be appropriate. Smile

Planned:
Better enemies. There is currently only one 'type' of enemy, they just move faster (and there are more of them) as the levels progress. More enemy-types and level-types are hoped for soon. Razz

Hopefully, it will work on a '168 (it's only 8K or so), but since I went straight to the '328, I can't check. Razz The code size is fine, but I'm not sure about RAM usage. Give it a look, any thoughts & ideas are welcome! Especially playability/difficulty issues...

I think I am, therefore I am... I think
Forum Mad Scientist
Mad Scientist

Profile Email    

By: Windell (offline) on Wednesday, June 24 2009 @ 10:23 AM PDT  
Windell

I don't think that Karl explicitly said it, but the program is available for download at the Meggy Jr RGB Google code site. Smile

Windell H. Oskay
drwho(at)evilmadscientist.com
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: Windell (offline) on Wednesday, June 24 2009 @ 10:40 AM PDT  
Windell

This game seems good and interesting. It works (so far as I can tell) on both the 168 and 328. Nice music, too.

I was not able to get the superweapon to work-- not sure what it was supposed to do, but nothing happened when I had earned weapons (I think eight of them?) and pressed the B button.

A couple of game play suggestions:

1. Add horizontal scrolling when you hold the buttons for a moment.
2. Add explosions for the bubbles that can trigger explosions of other bubbles. Chain reactions could be interesting.

Windell H. Oskay
drwho(at)evilmadscientist.com
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: karlgg (offline) on Wednesday, June 24 2009 @ 03:14 PM PDT  
karlgg

Quote by: Windell

I don't think that Karl explicitly said it, but the program is available for download at the Meggy Jr RGB <A HREF="http://code.google.com/p/meggy-jr-rgb/downloads/list">Google code site</A>. Smile

Oops. I knew I forgot something! Oops!

Once the superweapon is enabled, it should "charge" up as you kill off bubbles, until it fills the bottom of the screen... from gray(ish) to green. It's a one-shot and then depletes the charge, so you have to build it up again. Also, if a bubble hits the ground, that depletes the charge too. If it's not working, that's going to be interesting - it works on my machine! Razz

I thought about adding the auto-repeat to the keys, but hadn't decided the details (speed, delay) yet. Which reminds me, you can "wrap around" the sides of the screen to get to the other side (much like the bubbles will occasionally do). It's in the header comments, but not obvious in game play. That helps a lot in getting from one side to the other!

The chain-reactions would be interesting, but with 8x8 pixels I'm afraid that's dangerously close to another screen-clearing weapon. I'll try it out and see how it works.

One thing this points out to me, I need to work on documentation. Smile

Forum Mad Scientist
Mad Scientist

Profile Email    

By: karlgg (offline) on Thursday, June 25 2009 @ 10:50 PM PDT  
karlgg

Has anybody else had a problem with the "B" button? I'm worried that there's a problem aside from my terrible (lack of) instructions.

Forum Mad Scientist
Mad Scientist

Profile Email    

All times are PDT. The time is now 09:29 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Evil Mad Scientist Forum Archives — Read only!

Please visit our new forums for new discussions.

DIY Hardware for Electronic Art

The Original Egg-Bot Kit

Octolively
Interactive LED kits

Meggy Jr RGB
LED matrix game
development kit.

Business-card sized
AVR target boards

Peggy 2
LED Pegboard kits

My Account