Forum Index > Projects > Interactive LED projects
 Project complete!
 |  Printable Version
By: Greg (offline) on Wednesday, December 19 2007 @ 09:27 PM PST (Read 4927 times)  
Greg

My table is done!

The last coats of finish went on the wood last night and I picked-up the top this morning (90 pounds of half inch glass!). We wrestled with clear glass vs. frosted, and opted for clear in the end. The circuit boards are really something to show-off, IMHO.

Overall, I must say, the kit is outstanding. The instructions are conscise, and the support here really makes a difference.

Thanks Windell!

BTW, I have pics if you want them.

Greg

Forum Apprentice
Apprentice

Profile Email    

By: Windell (offline) on Wednesday, December 19 2007 @ 10:54 PM PST  
Windell

Hey-- Congrats are in order then! Big Grin We'd certainly like to see the pictures, privately or otherwise. If possible, please add them to the Evil Mad Science Auxiliary flickr group. (If you don't flickr and give me permission, I could post them there for you.) Yep, glass is heavy-- I can only barely lift the glass on our table by myself, and frosted glass is super expensive. One thing that we did on our "old" interactive LED dining table is to use clear glass, but apply a commercial "privacy film" which effectively turns it into frosted glass. Unfortunately it's not cheap (~$30), very very difficult to apply, and we still ended up with a couple of cat hairs and bubbles between the film and the glass. It does seem like there should be a better way.

Windell H. Oskay
drwho(at)evilmadscientist.com
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: Anonymous: Jaune d'Eau () on Thursday, December 20 2007 @ 12:11 AM PST  
Anonymous: Jaune d'Eau

Just my 2ct, but I could get a very low price to get some glass frozen after chatting a bit with a cool guy at the local bodyshop.

John.

By: Greg (offline) on Thursday, December 20 2007 @ 03:24 PM PST  
Greg

The frosting quote I recieved was around $125 for plain frosting, and double if i want it lacquered (this makes it appear less frosted).

The guy gave me samples, that I placed on the table to try it out. Since you can still see the components, it doesn't seem worth it.

The best price I found for the privacy film was in the $55 range. I found that Krylon makes a spray paint frosting, but it seems like it would be impossible to get it even.

I'll email you the photos directly.

Greg

Forum Apprentice
Apprentice

Profile Email    

By: Anonymous: Jaune d'Eau () on Saturday, December 22 2007 @ 01:54 PM PST  
Anonymous: Jaune d'Eau

Something like this may help : http://cgi.ebay.com/12-oz-Armour-Etch-Glass-Etching-Cream-NEW-IMPROVED_W0QQitemZ180157273883QQcmdZViewItem
(search for "etching cream" if link no longer work).

It gives pretty good results. You must spread a one millimeter layer on the glass. (who can convert etching cream Oz into mm without using a google ?) The product is re-usable several times, so dividing the table in 2 or 3 part with adhesive tape, you might be able to make the whole table with the 12 oz.

You can also try to DIY this product for bargain, you certainly can find the receipt easyly on the internet, but PLEASE wear as many protecting things as you can while manupulation this bone dissolving hydrofluoric thing Frown

Have fun,
John.

All times are PDT. The time is now 10:44 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Evil Mad Scientist Forum Archives — Read only!

Please visit our new forums for new discussions.

DIY Hardware for Electronic Art

The Original Egg-Bot Kit

Octolively
Interactive LED kits

Meggy Jr RGB
LED matrix game
development kit.

Business-card sized
AVR target boards

Peggy 2
LED Pegboard kits

My Account