Forum Index > General > Where the heck do you get a ....
 Right-angle (and straight) headers and sockets?
 |  Printable Version
By: squall_line (offline) on Tuesday, May 11 2010 @ 11:26 AM PDT (Read 4993 times)  
squall_line

Similar to what is used to connect the Interactive LED panels together. Although, from my searches, it's hard to tell if you have to get headers in specific lengths, or if you get them by the strip of ~20-100, and then just clip off sections depending on how many you need at a time (if they're spaced properly in the first place, of course). Of course, it's also *interesting* trying to sort through results to find pages where you can get these in project-sized quantities, rather than, say, a case of 100,000+ pins' worth of headers.

I've seen some straight riser/headers on ADAFruit's website, for Arduino projects, but I'm not looking to get into Arduino stuff right now, just trying to come up with some ways to make a multi-board Larson Scanner easily linked/unlinked. I understand that the form factor of the Larson Scanner might not lend itself very well to connections the same way that the iLED panels do, but I'm hoping to find some way other than direct hardwire to make them linkable/unlinkable, and figured that header pins would be a way to go.

I was also thinking of adding some pins to a breakout board or two, to further test communication and what-not, using pins other than the ISP header.

edit: See also: Serial Communication blog post from 10-JUN-2009, which used a 5-pin right-angle header with a tooth cut out...

Thoughts?

Forum Mad Scientist
Mad Scientist

Iowa, USA

Profile Email    

By: Windell (offline) on Tuesday, May 11 2010 @ 01:10 PM PDT  
Windell

You can get connectors like ours from digi-key; we just get the ones that are 8 pins wide. Some of these are cast to length, and some are cut to length at digi-key.

Windell H. Oskay
drwho(at)evilmadscientist.com
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: squall_line (offline) on Tuesday, May 11 2010 @ 01:26 PM PDT  
squall_line

*sigh*

Right in front of my face. Oops!

Why do I always forget to look them up?

Thanks, Windell! Smile

Forum Mad Scientist
Mad Scientist

Iowa, USA

Profile Email    

By: squall_line (offline) on Wednesday, May 12 2010 @ 09:12 AM PDT  
squall_line

Of course, now that I've been through Digikey's interactive online catalog, I'm not quite as lost as I was before, but the possibilities and selections are almost as varied and hard to wade through as one would get from just a regular google search.

The SAMTEC, DigiReel 96x, and Molex Breakaways all seem like decent options for straight, right-angle, single-row, and dual-row header pins (although the female side of the equation seems a little bit harder to decipher for some of the manufacturers).

Any further thoughts on which manufacturer, or a page/part number? Not trying to wheeze your juice, Windell, just seems a little silly to re-invent the wheel looking through the entire catalog if someone has already come across a solution that they've found works well for them. Smile

Forum Mad Scientist
Mad Scientist

Iowa, USA

Profile Email    

By: Windell (offline) on Wednesday, May 12 2010 @ 10:40 AM PDT  
Windell

Try S5483-ND and WM6108-ND, or the respective variations with different pin numbers on the same catalog pages.

Windell H. Oskay
drwho(at)evilmadscientist.com
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: squall_line (offline) on Wednesday, May 12 2010 @ 12:30 PM PDT  
squall_line

The WM6108 was on my short list, so thank you for confirming that I was looking in the right place! Smile

And, thanks for the suggestion on the female headers! Those were harder to find good versions of than anything else, IMHO.

Forum Mad Scientist
Mad Scientist

Iowa, USA

Profile Email    

All times are PDT. The time is now 01:17 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Evil Mad Scientist Forum Archives — Read only!

Please visit our new forums for new discussions.

DIY Hardware for Electronic Art

The Original Egg-Bot Kit

Octolively
Interactive LED kits

Meggy Jr RGB
LED matrix game
development kit.

Business-card sized
AVR target boards

Peggy 2
LED Pegboard kits

My Account