Forum Index > Projects > Other projects
 1/4 AAA NiMH batteries
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: BobTheBuilder () on Tuesday, June 01 2010 @ 09:00 AM PDT (Read 10205 times)  
Anonymous: BobTheBuilder

I'm needing about 8 of these batteries by the end of the week, and want to buy them from a store rather than online.

I can't seem to find them anywhere other than at Radio Shack, but they sell them for WAY more than what they are being sold for online. Normally I'd buy them online, but unless I want to pay outrageous shipping costs I won't have them in time.

Do any other stores carry these batteries?!

By: Lenore (offline) on Tuesday, June 01 2010 @ 09:51 AM PDT  
Lenore

The simple answer is, of course, yes.

Some electronics surplus stores carry things like this, so you might check out our surplus links. Some consumer electronics stores carry a wide variety of batteries (I would expect Fry's might have them, but I don't know if you're in the area). And RC hobby shops are a great place to shop for batteries. Also, small mom & pop electronics shops are always worth checking out.

Good luck!

Forum Scientist
Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: Anonymous: BobTheBuilder () on Tuesday, June 01 2010 @ 04:54 PM PDT  

Thanks for the response!

I checked with Fry's and they don't carry them (currently sold out, but should restock in 2-3 months). They sent me to Batteries Plus and the guy that was working there kept trying to sell me some non-rechargeable AAAA batteries instead. So, I'm going to try there tomorrow when someone else is working. If they don't have it I'll try some RC hobby shops or try and find a small electronic shop somewhere!

Thanks again!

By: Anonymous: BobTheBuilder () on Thursday, June 03 2010 @ 07:51 AM PDT  

Sorry to double post (not sure if that's a rule here or not!), but I'm back with some questions.

I have still been unable to buy these batteries from anywhere. I eventually gave up and went back to Radio Shack, but then found out that they don't actually sell 1/4 AAA batteries! In desperation I went to Batteries Wholesale to just buy them there, and the site is closed!

I found a list of some AAA NiMH batteries on digi-key (http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Cat=393483&k=AAA%20NiMH%20Batteries)

So! Will any of these work as a replacement? I'm new with batteries for solar panels, so not sure where to go! I'm willing to order them online now since buying them in person seems like it won't be possible, but I have NO idea which.

Thanks!

By: squall_line (offline) on Thursday, June 03 2010 @ 08:12 AM PDT  
squall_line

I guess I'm not sure what you mean by "1/4 AAA". I mean, I know what a AAA battery is, and what a NiMH battery is, and what a AAA NiMH battery is, but I don't know what the "1/4" has to do with things.

That said, if all you need are rechargeable NiMH Triple-A-sized (AAA) batteries, you can usually find them at Target and WalMart with the rest of the batteries. For certain, there are plenty more varieties of double-A (AA) NiMH batteries out there, but AAA's should be relatively easy to find, as well. Almost all of the "pre-charged" and "memory-free" rechargeable batteries from Duracell and Energizer are NiMH now; NiCd batteries are actually pretty hard to come by anymore.

I bought all of the NiMH AA's in my house for my camera's external flash and my Guitar Hero guitar and other devices from Target.

Forum Mad Scientist
Mad Scientist

Iowa, USA

Profile Email    

By: Lenore (offline) on Friday, June 04 2010 @ 10:44 AM PDT  
Lenore

It's hard to say what will work as a replacement, since you haven't said what you're using them for. In most cases, you can upgrade to a larger capacity cell of the same voltage and be okay.

Forum Scientist
Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: Anonymous: CB () on Monday, June 14 2010 @ 08:49 AM PDT  
Anonymous: CB

I actually work for Batteries Plus. We do have access to GP brand 1/4AAA cells. They are not that common for individual sale, which is why the associate may not have been familiar with them. They are usually assembled into a pack with a wire harness for direct installation into devices. Mention part number DAN1/4AAA-110NM.

Hope this helps.

Chris

By: squall_line (offline) on Monday, June 14 2010 @ 10:18 AM PDT  
squall_line

Ahh, now I'm starting to understand. These are 1/4-length (give or take) AAA cells. My initial guess is that they're being used in an RC application, but I also remember using similar batteries in wireless sensors (motion detector, door sensor, etc) in a wireless security system. When we replaced them in people's security systems, they were somewhat outrageously priced, depending on who you asked. Eek! Then again, that included labor, etc.

CB's recommendation is spot-on, though a google search on that particular part number didn't really turn up anything. DAN is for Dantona Industries (their supplier), 1/4AAA-110NM is the part number from Dantona, though the GP part number appears to be either GP11AAAM or GPNT11AAAM.

Good luck! Smile

Forum Mad Scientist
Mad Scientist

Iowa, USA

Profile Email    

All times are PDT. The time is now 11:52 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Evil Mad Scientist Forum Archives — Read only!

Please visit our new forums for new discussions.

DIY Hardware for Electronic Art

The Original Egg-Bot Kit

Octolively
Interactive LED kits

Meggy Jr RGB
LED matrix game
development kit.

Business-card sized
AVR target boards

Peggy 2
LED Pegboard kits

My Account