Forum Index > Projects > LED Pegboard and Matrix Projects
 Meggy Jr stop working...
 |  Printable Version
By: di-multimedia(r) (offline) on Tuesday, August 10 2010 @ 03:07 PM PDT (Read 13264 times)  
di-multimedia(r)

My Meggy Jr just work fine some day but after a general power failure in the middle of uploading a schetch(Tomatoes Attack) the Meggy Jr stop working!, does not matter what I do when try to upload an sketch all seems good, but when restart just hear the buzzer long beep and random colors and leds on on the screen and in the auxiliary leds, if a press a button just change the pattern if I press reset button a temporary off an then the same random patterns and long tone.

Please some advise, I have and a 2nd Atmega programmed with Meggy(exactly as replacement if needed) Jr and a "virgin" one? try to replace? there coulbe a hardware or software failure, have been trying Batteries and USB powered but nothing.

Forum Henchperson
Henchperson

Profile Email    

By: Windell (offline) on Tuesday, August 10 2010 @ 03:20 PM PDT  
Windell

If it indicates that it has uploaded successfully, then it's very unlikely that there's actually damage to the chip. Probably something else is going on.

Try to restore the original, known-working, program, or maybe a sketch that doesn't ask it to do any drawing on the screen.

Also check that your batteries are properly charged (4.5 - 5.5 V are required) or make sure that you're running on a known-good power adapter.

Windell H. Oskay
drwho(at)evilmadscientist.com
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: di-multimedia(r) (offline) on Tuesday, August 10 2010 @ 04:04 PM PDT  
di-multimedia(r)

I will try to upload a blank scketch it that valid?, I played with one scketch of my own creation(a simple "column on led by led and a play tone button triggered "Winkor maybe with one on the examples folder(I tested all before and it works, after power failure course).

I Used 3 AAA NiMh batteries after and work, And too played with Belkin wall wart to USB adapter directly with FTDI Cable.

I will test again and if it possible upload some pictures at night.

Forum Henchperson
Henchperson

Profile Email    

By: Windell (offline) on Tuesday, August 10 2010 @ 04:36 PM PDT  
Windell

>I will try to upload a blank scketch it that valid?

Yes, or try one of the very simple examples in the Meggy Jr library, like the MeggJr_blink sketch. Just something that does something simpler and doesn't turn on the buzzer.

>I Used 3 AAA NiMh batteries after and work

Like with the Diavolino, NiMHs do not provide enough voltage to guarantee reliable operation.

>And too played with Belkin wall wart to USB adapter directly with FTDI Cable.

I don't know what kind of power the Belkin adapter puts out. But if it is not regulated, it could cause damage to the Meggy. We do not recommend powering the Meggy Jr RGB through the FTDI cable, since the peak power requirements exceed the amount that the FTDI cable is able to source.

Windell H. Oskay

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: di-multimedia(r) (offline) on Wednesday, August 11 2010 @ 07:17 AM PDT  
di-multimedia(r)

The Belkin sticker say 5v 300ma if I remember, but I change to batteries only an then changed my batteries for Duracell Ultra AAA 1.5 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/567719-REG/Duracell_MN2400B2_AAA_1_5v_Alkaline_Coppertop.html its this ok? then upload blink sketch(and test with a blank scketch and all in the MeggyJr example folder with "same" results), sketch upload ok, but a middle "screeen" from center to bottom get all blue(this pattern change randomly, I need to remove the buzzer couse continue the deep tone an got me crazy) the tone its still there, I noticed no other button works just Reset, if I push just got a temporary off and a change pattern in the screen(this time, 2nd to 7th rows got green all columns) I push reset button continuosly and just see a change in the screen leds and auxiliary leds(at least all led on top an on the screen seems work). Before a wile I noticed the led chips were somewhat hot, more like warm.

I made and a exaust revision of solder points but dont find nothig, so I start thinking if maybe there is a failure on led chips or in some transitor, any guide to make some test?

Thanks in advance.

Forum Henchperson
Henchperson

Profile Email    

By: Windell (offline) on Wednesday, August 11 2010 @ 10:10 AM PDT  
Windell

The Meggy Jr RGB can use in excess of 600 mA. Running it from a 300 mA adapter can cause serious problems-- the adapter could fail in various ways, including giving an overvoltage that could damage the transistors or LED driver chips on the Meggy Jr.

The only way that the buzzer can be going off constantly is if the chip is active and oscillating the pin that controls the buzzer. I've never heard of a case where the buzzer fails, or where the chip fails and makes constant noises. The buzzer is strictly a matter of software; I cannot imagine any hardware failure that could cause it to make a constant pitch.

Are you *sure* that the sketches are uploading okay? And, when they do upload, do you see any difference depending on what's uploaded?

Windell H. Oskay

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: di-multimedia(r) (offline) on Wednesday, August 11 2010 @ 11:53 AM PDT  
di-multimedia(r)

The Meggy Jr RGB can use in excess of 600 mA. Running it from a 300 mA adapter can cause serious problems-- the adapter could fail in various ways, including giving an overvoltage that could damage the transistors or LED driver chips on the Meggy Jr.

As I say before, Im not an electrician guy but not 300 mA its minus than 600 mA, its not more than a "undervoltage", whatever, finally I learn the lesson the hard way, so changed now and in the future(cause I planning to buy 3 more Meggys in a few days), and just use batteries and not NiMh, but if you could recommend me the right ac adapter(I hope can use one with the Meggys) an no more USB powered.

The only way that the buzzer can be going off constantly is if the chip is active and oscillating the pin that controls the buzzer. I've never heard of a case where the buzzer fails, or where the chip fails and makes constant noises. The buzzer is strictly a matter of software; I cannot imagine any hardware failure that could cause it to make a constant pitch.

The buzzer will not shut off sometimes, all the time is "on" with a very sharp tone, only briefly goes off when I press the reset button.

Are you *sure* that the sketches are uploading okay? And, when they do upload, do you see any difference depending on what's uploaded?

Right!, all upload process seems ok, the arduino ide say upload done after +- 30-45 sec, no error or something, then in the Meggy Jr start the tone in the buzzer and the described patterns in "screen" and auxiliary leds.

I ordered a 2nd Meggy Jr preprogrammed Atmega(exactly as replacement if something goes wrong) try to test replacing the one on the Meggy with the other? or could make some other test before.

Im sorry, I hope Im not being bothering you, I learned a hard lesson(couse cost me my first MeggyJr by the way, a very nice gadget!!!, Im waiting for Egg Bot to be released it looks very funny!).

Thank again.

Yesterday I forgot the camera at the office but and today the MeggyJr at home, but in the night take some pictures and/or video to show you.

Forum Henchperson
Henchperson

Profile Email    

By: Windell (offline) on Wednesday, August 11 2010 @ 12:21 PM PDT  
Windell

As I say before, Im not an electrician guy but not 300 mA its minus than 600 mA, its not more than a "undervoltage", whatever,

A power adapter rated for 300 mA can be destroyed or otherwise put out dangerous (to your device) voltages if you connect it to a device that draws 600 mA. You should use a power adapter that is regulated, +/- 5%, and in the range of 4.5 - 5.5 V, and has a capacity of at least (never less than) 1 A (1000 mA) to be sure that it will be safe with the Meggy Jr RGB. Generally a 5 V, 1A regulated supply is the best choice.

(Be sure to verify that it's regulated; many supplies just say "5 V" but can actually put out up to 10 V. The idea is that they are guaranteed to be 5 V or more.)

USB should generally not be used to power devices that need more than 500 mA. Most computers are protected to shut down the output power when it exceeds this value, but it's better to be safe than to risk damaging the computer.

all upload process seems ok, the arduino ide say upload done after +- 30-45 sec, no error or something, then in the Meggy Jr start the tone in the buzzer and the described patterns in "screen" and auxiliary leds.

So there's no difference in behavior depending on what you've uploaded?

If the LED driving hardware were damaged, I'd understand the matrix acting funny-- and that can be debugged -- but the buzzing is very strange indeed.

*IF* you are very comfortable desoldering, you could try the other chip, on the off chance that it's been damaged. But I suspect that the chip itself is okay in terms of hardware because it still programs okay. On the other hand, if you can't change what it's doing by reprogramming it, maybe it's not really programming okay....

Windell H. Oskay

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: di-multimedia(r) (offline) on Thursday, August 12 2010 @ 07:18 AM PDT  
di-multimedia(r)

Many thanks for the power Lesson, now its more clear to me, what did you think it this a nice option to use with Meggy? http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/wall-adapter-power-supply-65vdc-2a-p-413.html?cPath=104_107 or could use a multi voltage selectable from 3 to 12 V 1.2 A frm this link http://www.steren.com.mx/catalogo/interior3.asp?pdto=ELI-1000BL, ... sorry I did not noticed y can buy one directly from you http://evilmadscience.com/partsmenu/82-5Vpower.

I will put more attention on what pattern or if the same behaviour wi one scketch or other, an I report to you.

I don really feel comfortable desoldering(hard work) but what else can do I don really like a "zombie" Meggy Jr ; (

Could the led driving chip has been damaged in any way? its there a way to test, some capacitors or transistos? how can test? if the led drivers are damaged it there an option to buy a replacement?

Thanks I will wait and make more test if necesary.

Forum Henchperson
Henchperson

Profile Email    

By: squall_line (offline) on Thursday, August 12 2010 @ 09:08 AM PDT  
squall_line

Far be it from me to intrude on someone else's topic, but as you mentioned, the following power supply is available:

http://evilmadscience.com/partsmenu/82-5Vpower

Since it's sold by Evil Mad Science, and specifically recommended for use with the Meggy Jr., I'd imagine it would be your best bet. Cool

International versions are available, too, in case one is needed. Smile

Forum Mad Scientist
Mad Scientist

Iowa, USA

Profile Email    

By: Windell (offline) on Thursday, August 12 2010 @ 09:17 AM PDT  
Windell

That Seeed studio power supply puts out 6.5 V; it would kill the Meggy. Please don't feel obligated to get a power supply from us; just be careful to evaluate the specs that you need.

Since I don't know exactly what happened to the Meggy, and the symptoms that you are describing are ones that I've never heard before, I'm not really sure what the best thing to recommend is. One thing that you might consider is using an ISP programmer to reprogram the Meggy Jr, to see if that makes any difference. (The Diavolino can, among other things, be used as an ISP programmer.)

Windell H. Oskay

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: di-multimedia(r) (offline) on Thursday, August 12 2010 @ 09:36 AM PDT  
di-multimedia(r)

So I have bad luck with the Diavolino too!!!, whe say in Mexico... "Me lleva el Diablo", something like "I go to hell, by the hand of the devil" Evil, I have the Adafruit USBTinyISP, this will work right?, could you guide me to the process?

I got clear need to buy one from AC Adapter from you! I order the nex time, I was thinking if cant getting work if I could seendit back the Meggy Jr for diagnostics?(just need the pcb with circuits right?).

Thanks

Forum Henchperson
Henchperson

Profile Email    

By: di-multimedia(r) (offline) on Thursday, August 12 2010 @ 09:40 AM PDT  
di-multimedia(r)

Quote by: squall_line

Far be it from me to intrude on someone else's topic, but as you mentioned, the following power supply is available:

http://evilmadscience.com/partsmenu/82-5Vpower

Since it's sold by Evil Mad Science, and specifically recommended for use with the Meggy Jr., I'd imagine it would be your best bet. Cool

International versions are available, too, in case one is needed. Smile

Yes, I have been noticed too late!.

Need to order al least two or three for future Meggys.

Many thanks for your comment.

Forum Henchperson
Henchperson

Profile Email    

By: Windell (offline) on Saturday, August 14 2010 @ 02:04 PM PDT  
Windell

I was thinking if cant getting work if I could seendit back the Meggy Jr for diagnostics?(just need the pcb with circuits right?).

I don't normally, but this is an unusual circumstance, so I might be willing to take a look at us. Please contact us directly through the store about that.

Windell H. Oskay

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: di-multimedia(r) (offline) on Saturday, August 14 2010 @ 08:47 PM PDT  
di-multimedia(r)

Ok, it there some guide to try to revive the Meggy? I want to try just before sending back.

Forum Henchperson
Henchperson

Profile Email    

All times are PDT. The time is now 02:24 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Evil Mad Scientist Forum Archives — Read only!

Please visit our new forums for new discussions.

DIY Hardware for Electronic Art

The Original Egg-Bot Kit

Octolively
Interactive LED kits

Meggy Jr RGB
LED matrix game
development kit.

Business-card sized
AVR target boards

Peggy 2
LED Pegboard kits

My Account