Forum Index > Projects > Egg-Bot
 Excited and full of questions
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: David Rysdam () on Wednesday, September 08 2010 @ 07:05 AM PDT (Read 3121 times)  
Anonymous: David Rysdam

1) Is there a way to subscribe to the mailing list without having a Google account?

2) The FAQ says programming isn't *necessary* but is it *possible*? Can I generate an SVG and send it to the device somehow? I guess I could generate it and load it in Inkscape, at which point it should Just Work. Although real-time control would also be cool (think: seismograph)

3) How long does it take to print an egg?

By: Anonymous: Dan Newman () on Wednesday, September 08 2010 @ 07:33 AM PDT  
Anonymous: Dan Newman

Quote by: David Rysdam

2) The FAQ says programming isn't *necessary* but is it *possible*? Can I generate an SVG and send it to the device somehow?

The Eggbot doesn't consume SVG. It is sent very basic commands such as lift the pen, lower the pen, commands on how to step the motors, etc. So, while you can write software to directly control the Eggbot, you will have to do so thinking of your plot as individual line segments and mapping the displacement from head to tail (of the line segment) into motor steps.

Although real-time control would also be cool (think: seismograph)

You could do that. Would take code to do serial I/O to the Eggbot over USB and
knowledge of the Eggbot's EBB driver board's commands. See http://www.schmalzhaus.com/EBB/ for information.

3) How long does it take to print an egg?

That depends upon the complexity of the plot. Usually takes me about a minute to load an egg and ensure that it is in nice and symmetrically. The actual plotting can then take anywhere from a few seconds (a simple line) to well over half an hour or more (plots covering the entire surface, pen changes, etc.). While the eggbot is drawing, your attention isn't needed except when you want to change pen colors.

Dan

By: Anonymous: David Rysdam () on Wednesday, September 08 2010 @ 07:47 AM PDT  
Anonymous: David Rysdam

Quote by: Dan Newman

The Eggbot doesn't consume SVG. It is sent very basic commands such as lift the pen, lower the pen, commands on how to step the motors, etc. So, while you can write software to directly control the Eggbot, you will have to do so thinking of your plot as individual line segments and mapping the displacement from head to tail (of the line segment) into motor steps.

Right, but isn't that what the printer driver is doing? Or is that specific to Inkscape? Could it be extracted to a library?

I'm a software engineer, so I could do it. I'm just trying to figure out if there's some theoretical or practical reason this wouldn't work.

But like I said, I don't have any particular realtime ideas (an egg wouldn't hold that many datapoints anyway) so I could always generate an SVG and load it into Inkscape.

By: dnewman (offline) on Wednesday, September 08 2010 @ 09:01 AM PDT  
dnewman

Quote by: David Rysdam

Quote by: Dan Newman

Right, but isn't that what the printer driver is doing? Or is that specific to Inkscape? Could it be extracted to a library?

The Inkscape driver is an extension to Inkscape and written in Python. It's very specific to SVG as well as Inkscape. While I've not looked at it myself, there's also been an example of driving the Eggbot from Processing. Either would serve as examples of how to drive the Eggbot using the command language of the EBB board.

Extracting that driver to a library might not be all the useful. Making a standalone program which could read simple moveto/lineto commands with absolute or relative (x, y) coordinates might be handy. You could then pipe commands to it realtime if you wanted to.

You can see the Inkscape driver as well as the EBB firmware (PIC) at the source code repo cited at the end of the Eggbot kit presentation, http://www.evilmadscientist.com/article.php/eggbot.

Dan

Cow Canyon Saddle Clear Sky Chart

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Mt. Baldy,
California

Profile Email    

By: Windell (offline) on Wednesday, September 08 2010 @ 05:30 PM PDT  
Windell

I think that it wouldn't be too hard to extract the eggbot software into a piece of standalone python code-- that may have actually already been done as a demo.

Rather than just processing SVG, I'm more excited that it's so straightforward to control the eggbot from arbitrary programming languages that just give it pen-down-pen-up-goto type commands. It should be straightforward to build a *logo* version for eggbot, for example. Big Grin

Also, to answer your original question, I believe that you do need a google account to subscribe to the mailing list. You don't need to have your e-mail there, just to create a username and password.

Windell H. Oskay
drwho(at)evilmadscientist.com
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: dnewman (offline) on Wednesday, September 08 2010 @ 06:30 PM PDT  
dnewman

Quote by: Windell

I think that it wouldn't be too hard to extract the eggbot software into a piece of standalone python code-- that may have actually already been done as a demo.

I agree. Given how Inkscape extensions work, extracting the Inkscape Eggbot plotting extension to a standalone Python program should be straightforward and work fine for plotting a complete SVG document.

If, however, one seeks to do realtime plotting with the Inkscape extension extracted to a standalone program, then they will hit an XML gotcha: the handling (parsing) of an unfinished XML document. In this case, a document lacking the closing </svg> tag. That is, after all, an invalid XML document. While there are ways of handling that, I don't know if the XML parser under the hood in Inkscape can deal with it. So, for real time plotting, using the extension as a standalone program may not be ideal.

I keep on meaning to write some Python that consumes a file or stdin to plot a stream of moveto/lineto data to the Eggbot.

Dan

Cow Canyon Saddle Clear Sky Chart

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Mt. Baldy,
California

Profile Email    

All times are PDT. The time is now 07:14 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Evil Mad Scientist Forum Archives — Read only!

Please visit our new forums for new discussions.

DIY Hardware for Electronic Art

The Original Egg-Bot Kit

Octolively
Interactive LED kits

Meggy Jr RGB
LED matrix game
development kit.

Business-card sized
AVR target boards

Peggy 2
LED Pegboard kits

My Account