Forum Index > Projects > LED Pegboard and Matrix Projects
 newbie: how do I verify a new Peggy 2 in SER mode is working?
 |  Printable Version
By: a1r (offline) on Sunday, September 12 2010 @ 10:21 AM PDT (Read 1929 times)  
a1r

I have a newbie question about Peggy 2 (v2.3). First, thanks for a great job on the kit! The attention to detail and friendliness of the docs is excellent.

My goal is to have animation driven through the serial port using Processing. So I understand that eventually I'll be running in SER mode. I haven't started soldering yet - I need to decide which mode to use (P2 or SER) for the initial build. I'm a forward planner Wink

1. For me, the Manual has a big gap right at the end: what should I expect when I first switch on the board? Is there a default program loaded? How do I diagnose that everything is working?

2. As a related question, does the mode I select in step 12 affect what happens when I first switch on? I'm looking at the Manual,

the initial firmware that comes with the microcontroller assumes that the board is built [in P2 mode].

So if I choose SER, should I expect it to do anything at startup?

I guess I'm looking for a Getting Started guide that picks up from the first switch-on, and that covers both P2 and SER options. If there's some resource I'm missing with the above info I'd be happy to go and read it. If it doesn't exist, I'm happy to write it once everything is working Big Grin

Thanks again!
Aaron

Forum Apprentice
Apprentice

Profile Email    

By: Windell (offline) on Sunday, September 12 2010 @ 03:03 PM PDT  
Windell

>First, thanks for a great job on the kit! The attention to detail and friendliness of the docs is excellent.

Thanks!

1. For me, the Manual has a big gap right at the end: what should I expect when I first switch on the board? Is there a default program loaded? How do I diagnose that everything is working?

2. As a related question, does the mode I select in step 12 affect what happens when I first switch on? [...] So if I choose SER, should I expect it to do anything at startup?

Yes, the standard firmware that's preloaded lights all the LEDs uniformly-- if you have built it according to the standard (non-serial) instructions. If you have it wired for serial, it will still work, but it will only light some of the rows, and not particularly uniformly. To get it working properly with the serial hack for first tests, load the program peggy2_minimal from the Peggy2Serial Arduino library. That's really all that you need to do get it working "normally" in Serial mode.

From there, try loading different programs from the examples in the Library, including our receive-video sketch, and try out the processing sketch that we've included.

Windell H. Oskay
drwho(at)evilmadscientist.com
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: a1r (offline) on Monday, September 13 2010 @ 04:51 PM PDT  
a1r

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll get started in SER mode.

Forum Apprentice
Apprentice

Profile Email    

All times are PDT. The time is now 10:16 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Evil Mad Scientist Forum Archives — Read only!

Please visit our new forums for new discussions.

DIY Hardware for Electronic Art

The Original Egg-Bot Kit

Octolively
Interactive LED kits

Meggy Jr RGB
LED matrix game
development kit.

Business-card sized
AVR target boards

Peggy 2
LED Pegboard kits

My Account