Forum Index > Projects > Diavolino
 Diavolino newbie
 |  Printable Version
By: Jag (offline) on Tuesday, October 05 2010 @ 03:27 PM PDT (Read 4016 times)  
Jag

I just got my Diavolino kit and I'm a total newbie. I've melted my share of wires and circuitry just messing around and I don't want to make (further) mistakes by not following the instructions. Smile I've yet to start and I've come upon a question.

I intend on using the USB and the battery box for power ( BUT NOT AT THE SAME TIME Wink ).

On page #22, of the diavolino_instrux.pdf "How to add the Battery Box" The pictures show a Diavolino with the Reg. Bypass ( "No Reg" ) jumper already in place. None of the instructions previous to that point show installing this jumper. As far as I can tell the jumper is for required for just the 5V DC adapter. For battery box power is this jumper needed?

And just out of curiosity, why would one jump 3.3v to vcc? I'm still very green and from what I can tell this is to provide power to microcontroller (or not), to do what?

Thanks in advance.

Forum Apprentice
Apprentice

Profile Email    

By: Windell (offline) on Tuesday, October 05 2010 @ 04:03 PM PDT  
Windell

On page #22, of the diavolino_instrux.pdf "How to add the Battery Box" The pictures show a Diavolino with the Reg. Bypass ( "No Reg" ) jumper already in place. None of the instructions previous to that point show installing this jumper. As far as I can tell the jumper is for required for just the 5V DC adapter. For battery box power is this jumper needed?

I believe that the jumper is *not* required. However I can also assure you that adding it is *not* harmful. Big Grin

And just out of curiosity, why would one jump 3.3v to vcc? I'm still very green and from what I can tell this is to provide power to microcontroller (or not), to do what?

The AVR can't actually run off of 3.3 V; the 3.3 V power is produced on brand-name Arduino boards, and is available to power accessories on shields and so forth. Our option is just there for hackers to have more choices available.

Windell H. Oskay
drwho(at)evilmadscientist.com
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: Jag (offline) on Thursday, October 07 2010 @ 07:57 AM PDT  
Jag

Very good. My free time has evaporated lately, so I can only look longingly at the kit parts until this weekend. SIGH. (but then making a parts run will be that much easier Wink)

Forum Apprentice
Apprentice

Profile Email    

By: dclapp (offline) on Thursday, October 14 2010 @ 02:39 PM PDT  
dclapp

Instead of a jumper to enable USB power, I've been using a Schottky rectifier - 1N5817 (or 18 or 19) to avoid any chance of dueling power sources. Those are cheap and can be had on ebay with no minimum order.

On the battery side, it costs a little more, but I'm happiest with using an LDO regulator that is reverse polarity protected.

Forum Apprentice
Apprentice

Profile Email    

By: Anonymous: oldElectroGuy () on Sunday, April 24 2011 @ 10:24 AM PDT  
Anonymous: oldElectroGuy

so if i added a 2 pin header , jumping the 3.3 and vcc..would give me 2 pins on the header to use for 5 volts

By: Windell (offline) on Sunday, April 24 2011 @ 12:30 PM PDT  
Windell

so if i added a 2 pin header , jumping the 3.3 and vcc..would give me 2 pins on the header to use for 5 volts

Yes.

Windell H. Oskay
drwho(at)evilmadscientist.com
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

All times are PDT. The time is now 03:20 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Evil Mad Scientist Forum Archives — Read only!

Please visit our new forums for new discussions.

DIY Hardware for Electronic Art

The Original Egg-Bot Kit

Octolively
Interactive LED kits

Meggy Jr RGB
LED matrix game
development kit.

Business-card sized
AVR target boards

Peggy 2
LED Pegboard kits

My Account