Forum Index > Projects > Egg-Bot
 It came, it came! (But a slight problem occurred)
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: David Rysdam () on Thursday, October 07 2010 @ 02:54 AM PDT (Read 1508 times)  
Anonymous: David Rysdam

The shipping was incredibly fast. Basically overnight, even though it was sent Priority.

I put most of it together before bed last night. It's a lot sturdier than I thought it was going to be. For some reason, I thought the body was laser-cut *plastic* not metal.

I'm going to post more on my blog once I get it done, but for now I have a problem to report: The (excellent!) assembly instructions are missing some key images. Or more likely, they just aren't displaying in evince on Linux.

Everything is fine up until Step 23. There are two images for that step, but only the smaller one showing the nylon thumbscrews is visible. The other one, which apparently has red arrows drawn pointing to things, isn't. (I am able to see other images with arrows and dotted lines, so I don't think that's the problem.)

Fine again until Step 27. All 4(?) images are missing here. The captions, labels and arrows are there, just no pictures of parts.

Fine again until Step 29. No image.

Again on Step 35. This one is especially strange, since it kind of looks like the background of the picture is there but not the foreground. I see four "ripped out" squares that seem to be pictures of a tabletop, but nothing is on the tabletop. There are labels, captions, arrows and dotted lines, but no parts. Maybe the "tabletop" is just some non-white image background you set up, though.

At this point it was bedtime and I was getting bleary, so I didn't attempt any further steps and don't know if there are any other problems. Here's some system info:

Package: evince
Architecture: amd64
Version: 2.30.3-0ubuntu1.1

By: Windell (offline) on Thursday, October 07 2010 @ 03:16 AM PDT  
Windell

Hi David,
I'm glad that your kit got there safe and sound. The chassis is mostly not metal, but is fiberglass with a little copper here and there to act as heat sinks, and it's made in a circuit board process.

I really appreciate your pointing out a possible documentation issue like this, but I am apparently unable to reproduce your error. Under Ubuntu 10.04, evince, 2.30.3, all of the steps that you called out look just fine to me. One detail, though: are you looking at the same version of the document as me? The latest version is 2.0b, which has an Appendix B now added. If you're looking at the earlier version, would you please check to see if you still see the error in the current version?

If the problem persists, I'll probably have to figure out some way to reproduce it. Confused

Windell H. Oskay
drwho(at)evilmadscientist.com
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: Anonymous: David Rysdam () on Thursday, October 07 2010 @ 05:09 AM PDT  
Anonymous: David Rysdam

Quote by: Windell

Hi David,
One detail, though: are you looking at the same version of the document as me? The latest version is 2.0b, which has an Appendix B now added. If you're looking at the earlier version, would you please check to see if you still see the error in the current version?

I was looking at the version on the wiki and the file was named "ebb_assy_revB.pdf". I downloaded that just 2.5 hours ago (although I may not have refreshed that page since last
night so maybe it's an old link). Loading the page now, I see it says it was updated on 10/7/2010 and the filename is now "ebb_assy_current.pdf" and the images are working in this one.

It speaks the quality of the instructions that even missing these images I was able to assembly it correctly.

All times are PDT. The time is now 01:07 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Evil Mad Scientist Forum Archives — Read only!

Please visit our new forums for new discussions.

DIY Hardware for Electronic Art

The Original Egg-Bot Kit

Octolively
Interactive LED kits

Meggy Jr RGB
LED matrix game
development kit.

Business-card sized
AVR target boards

Peggy 2
LED Pegboard kits

My Account