Forum Index > Projects > Egg-Bot
 Works great
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: schill () on Monday, October 11 2010 @ 05:43 AM PDT (Read 3479 times)  
Anonymous: schill

My Egg-Bot arrived Saturday and was up and running that night. It took a couple hours to assemble, but I was distracted because I was watching "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre" at the same time. Smile

I've only worked with ping pong balls so far and I'm happy with the results. The first "HELLO WORLD" print worked perfectly (except I forgot to test the pen first and missed most of the first letter.

There are a couple things that I think need to be mentioned (or clarified if I missed them) in the documentation:

1) The "Cancel" button on the form that pops up when you start printing doesn't work. I know that it is in the documentation for the Egg-Bot extension when it shows the "About" tab but I don't remember seeing it anywhere in the documentation when I was getting started. I tried using it and it obviously didn't do anything.

Along those lines, it also didn't seem to be clearly mentioned (although again I could have missed it) that the PRG button on the board will pause the Egg-Bot. I did find that in the documentation, but it should probably be mentioned earlier for people just getting started.

2) It does not seem to be entirely clear when the "Center" for plotting is set. I assume that when I turn the Egg-Bot on, the current pen location is set to be 500 (and 0 circumferentially). Is this reset every time a new plot is started? That is, if I free the motors and move the pen, will the new location be set as the center or does it remember the old one.

If the pen is moved manually from the "Manual" tab on the extension, does this affect the center or will things still be based on the original center?

It might also be useful if there was a way in the UI, maybe in the "Manual" tab, to tell it "The current pen location is the new center (500, 0)."

3) The only mechanical difficulty I ran into is that I found when working with ping pong balls that I could hit the frame with the servo if I didn't have the center set correctly or tried to draw something a little too large. In this case, it would have helped if the cutout for the servo in the frame was maybe a quarter inch deeper than it is.

Overall, the Egg-Bot has been working very well and it's been a pleasant experience to assemble and use. As I've seen with your other products, the documentation is particularly well done. It seems to have the right amount of hand-holding for just about anyone to follow but it's pretty unobtrusive if you know what you are doing.

Thanks for a great product.

By: dnewman (offline) on Monday, October 11 2010 @ 08:18 AM PDT  
dnewman

Quote by: schill

My Egg-Bot arrived Saturday and was up and running that night. It took a couple hours to assemble, but I was distracted because I was watching "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre" at the same time. Smile

[/u]

I live in those mountains. Except we call them the San Gabriels these days.

2) It does not seem to be entirely clear when the "Center" for plotting is set. I assume that when I turn the Egg-Bot on, the current pen location is set to be 500 (and 0 circumferentially). Is this reset every time a new plot is started? That is, if I free the motors and move the pen, will the new location be set as the center or does it remember the old one.

If the "Start with pen centered" is checked, then the new center will be set everytime you begin plotting. As such, it's often useful to have "Return home" checked as well. Especially when plotting individua layers. This starting position isn't saved. Note that the way Inkscape extensions work, is that your running Inkscape process puts up a dialog window if necessary (e.g., all those tabs for Eggbot Control). The Inkscape process owns that window. However, whenever you click "Apply", Inkscape then launches another process which then runs the actual extension script. When that script finishes whatever the "Apply" action was, then that process exits. Much of the memory of that process is now lost. The Eggbot Control extension actually saves a few pieces of information -- it does so by storing that information as XML tags in your actual drawing. The information saved is the last serial/usb port used and information necessary to resume a paused plot.

If the pen is moved manually from the "Manual" tab on the extension, does this affect the center or will things still be based on the original center?

Each time you hit the "Apply" button, it's a new center unless you are resuming a plot. The "center" from a prior plot is not remembered unless you're resuming a plot.

It might also be useful if there was a way in the UI, maybe in the "Manual" tab, to tell it "The current pen location is the new center (500, 0)."

Indeed, that is what the "Start with pen centered" does. Each time, you hit "Apply" (except when resuming) the current pen position is taken to be a point along the line y=500. What's the "x" value? If I recall correctly, it will be the first x-coordinate encountered in your drawing (in the order Inkscape has chosen to store the SVG in XML). (Or the first x-coordinate in the layer to be drawn.)

I'll let someone else answer your other questions. However, I will mention that the eggbot wiki is a place where users can add to the documentation themselves for the benefit of all.

http://wiki.evilmadscience.com/The_Original_Egg-Bot_Kit

Dan

Cow Canyon Saddle Clear Sky Chart

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Mt. Baldy,
California

Profile Email    

By: dnewman (offline) on Monday, October 11 2010 @ 08:27 AM PDT  
dnewman

Quote by: dnewman

Indeed, that is what the "Start with pen centered" does. Each time, you hit "Apply" (except when resuming) the current pen position is taken to be a point along the line y=500. What's the "x" value? If I recall correctly, it will be the first x-coordinate encountered in your drawing (in the order Inkscape has chosen to store the SVG in XML). (Or the first x-coordinate in the layer to be drawn.)

Actually, now that I think some more about it, it's the first X-coordinate in the drawing, regardless of layers if I recall correctly. If it was always the first X-coordinate of the layer to be plotted this run, then you would have a real problem registering individual layers when drawing them one at a time.

Dan

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Mt. Baldy,
California

Profile Email    

By: Anonymous: schill () on Monday, October 11 2010 @ 08:35 AM PDT  

Thanks for your replies.

I really wasn't intending these to be questions but more as comments on the current documentation - things that should be pointed out earlier for beginners.

After playing with the Egg-Bot a bit, the behavior became clear. But I think they do need to be mentioned earlier in the documentation.

By: dnewman (offline) on Monday, October 11 2010 @ 08:59 AM PDT  
dnewman

Quote by: schill

Thanks for your replies.

I really wasn't intending these to be questions but more as comments on the current documentation - things that should be pointed out earlier for beginners.

After playing with the Egg-Bot a bit, the behavior became clear. But I think they do need to be mentioned earlier in the documentation.

Understood. That's in part why I only took as a question that one topic which to me read the most as something you might want to hear back on sooner. That is, the one comment which I took to perhaps be on the fence between question-land and comment/feedback-land.

And, the feedback is appreciated!

Dan

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Mt. Baldy,
California

Profile Email    

By: Anonymous: schill () on Monday, October 11 2010 @ 09:19 AM PDT  

Your answers/clarifications are good to have here, too. People searching for answers will find them.

By: Windell (offline) on Monday, October 11 2010 @ 12:14 PM PDT  
Windell

Hi schill,
I'm very glad to hear that your Eggbot is up and running so quickly, and thanks for your feedback-- it's invaluable to us at this stage. We're gradually still adding to the documentation wiki, and pointers like yours on where it needs work are very helpful.

I think that your questions are mostly answered except for this one:

3) The only mechanical difficulty I ran into is that I found when working with ping pong balls that I could hit the frame with the servo if I didn't have the center set correctly or tried to draw something a little too large. In this case, it would have helped if the cutout for the servo in the frame was maybe a quarter inch deeper than it is.

My suggestion would be to raise the pen arm up another quarter inch and then lower the pen itself to compensate. Would that possibly help?

Windell H. Oskay
drwho(at)evilmadscientist.com
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: schill (offline) on Monday, October 11 2010 @ 03:56 PM PDT  
schill

Quote by: Windell

My suggestion would be to raise the pen arm up another quarter inch and then lower the pen itself to compensate. Would that possibly help?

I expect that will take care of the issue. At least until I decide to try plotting on marbles.

Forum Apprentice
Apprentice

Profile Email    

By: Windell (offline) on Monday, October 11 2010 @ 04:01 PM PDT  
Windell

> I expect that will take care of the issue. At least until I decide to try plotting on marbles.

Great.

We have plotted on larger "shooter" marbles:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/oskay/4819556065/in/pool-1503628@N24

But, "regular size" marbles are probably below our minimum "officially supported" diameter of 1.25", about 32 mm. (That diameter is mostly set by the length of the egg motor shaft....)

Windell H. Oskay
drwho(at)evilmadscientist.com
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: schill (offline) on Tuesday, October 12 2010 @ 07:43 AM PDT  
schill

Quote by: Windell

We have plotted on larger "shooter" marbles:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/oskay/4819556065/in/pool-1503628@N24

I had been wondering what that was in the picture.

Forum Apprentice
Apprentice

Profile Email    

All times are PDT. The time is now 12:39 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Evil Mad Scientist Forum Archives — Read only!

Please visit our new forums for new discussions.

DIY Hardware for Electronic Art

The Original Egg-Bot Kit

Octolively
Interactive LED kits

Meggy Jr RGB
LED matrix game
development kit.

Business-card sized
AVR target boards

Peggy 2
LED Pegboard kits

My Account