Forum Index > Projects > Egg-Bot
 Balls, Spheres, Ornaments
 |  Printable Version
By: dclapp (offline) on Thursday, October 14 2010 @ 02:07 PM PDT (Read 2842 times)  
dclapp

Here's a new topic since I'm well past Step 33 and am now looking for substrates.

Ping pong balls would be great if they were a little larger.

Eggs are - of course - ideal, but I'm still in newbie stage and don't want to waste food. Hopefully, I'll be up to speed well before Easter.

The playpit "fun balls" arrived and are a nice size, but they're a little flimsy. Quality control is weak, but the better ones seem to work. They deform a little when the tailstock spring presses against them, but take the ink fairly well. There is a molding ridge at the equator, but the pen seems to track over it OK.

Michael's craft supply had many blank Christmas ornaments, but most of them have flats on one side. Looking at today's front page article, they would probably work fine, but I went with some full spheres. They had glass in beige at $1.29 and clear plastic starting at 79 cents with 25% off this week.

I'm hopeful the Amazon "4-finish" batch will work out to usable for the ones I hope to distribute this season.

My wife didn't seem overly impressed with my first efforts. She went off to fetch a magazine and came back with it open to a page of Faberge eggs. Fortunately, I found the Inkscape tesselation pages, so I may be able to show a little progress in that direction.

Meanwhile the orange palypit balls make good jack-o-lanterns, but printing on the real thing is clearly superior.

David

Forum Apprentice
Apprentice

Profile Email    

By: Anonymous: David Rysdam () on Thursday, October 14 2010 @ 07:03 PM PDT  
Anonymous: David Rysdam

Quote by: dclapp

Eggs are - of course - ideal, but I'm still in newbie stage and don't want to waste food. Hopefully, I'll be up to speed well before Easter.

What waste? Blow them out into a container and eat the insides for breakfast. Or make a batch of cookies. Or hardboil them and eat the mistakes.

By: Anonymous: No One () on Wednesday, January 26 2011 @ 10:51 PM PST  
Anonymous: No One

I found a good supplier of Ping Pong balls that don't suck on Amazon, (and one that had junk ping pong balls. The company I got 4 gross from so far seller is DDDISCS. I ordered one gross to start with figured I would get more just in case and didn't pay attention and ordered from another company and got ping pong balls that were small and had a grove in them. Anyhow I ordered 3 more gross from DDDISCS and they were all white hard and no groves. So now I can screw up as much as I want and the cat plays with the bad ones. Cheap way to play with the eggbot.

All times are PDT. The time is now 01:14 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Evil Mad Scientist Forum Archives — Read only!

Please visit our new forums for new discussions.

DIY Hardware for Electronic Art

The Original Egg-Bot Kit

Octolively
Interactive LED kits

Meggy Jr RGB
LED matrix game
development kit.

Business-card sized
AVR target boards

Peggy 2
LED Pegboard kits

My Account