Forum Index > Projects > Egg-Bot
 pen motor isn't work properly
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: pieko () on Wednesday, December 22 2010 @ 09:15 PM PST (Read 5938 times)  
Anonymous: pieko

Hi, all.

There is something wrong with my eggbot.
I built it, and installed softwares necessary for drawing, successfully.
When I tried to move my motor I and II from the manual tab of Inkspace, it worked.
But pen motor didn't respond correctly when I sent a command to toggle the pen position. The motor makes noise (actually the motor makes noise from the beginning of turning on the board and never stop making noise) and sometimes moves very slowly, rapidly, or nothing.

I don't know if it's the EBB or the motors that's the problem. Does anyone help me?

/pieko

By: Windell (offline) on Thursday, December 23 2010 @ 12:06 AM PST  
Windell

When you say "pen motor" it sounds like you really mean the *pen lift* (servo) motor. You might want to refer to the anatomy drawing in appendix A of the assembly instructions.

It is possible, but unlikely, that a genuine problem with the EBB or servo is causing the problem. However, there are some more common causes.

If the servo motor is not responding correctly, there can be a few reasons for that. First, it may be on the wrong set of three pins on the EBB, or the connector may be facing the wrong direction.

It is also possible that the "servo horn" was not correctly centered according to steps 31-32 of the assembly instructions. If the servo motor is not moving because its its arm is already up against the distal pen arm, then this is likely to be the cause.

A similar issue was also discussed on the mailing list in the last couple of days-- where the servo motor was making noise but otherwise working correctly once a plot started. You might want to look at the recent discussions there for other ideas.

Windell H. Oskay
drwho(at)evilmadscientist.com
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: Anonymous: pieko () on Friday, December 24 2010 @ 10:58 PM PST  

Thanks for your help. Yes, pen lift motor. After your reply, I checked three pins that was connected to the pen lift motor. The connecter was on the bottom three pins. I checked the order of color too.
I tried to connect the connector to another rows. As soon as I connected it to top row and second row, the motor swung the horn, and stopped after full swing. So it seems the motor is not dead. But when I connect it to the bottom row, it makes noise and does not move as before.

Another possible error, the horn was not correctly centered, is not likely, because the motor does not respond even if the horn is not touched the distal pen arm.

Of course I tried to plot with the hope that the motor works properly, but the motor did not lift the distal pen armů

Should I try backdating Inkscape to 0.47?

pieko

By: dnewman (offline) on Friday, December 24 2010 @ 11:20 PM PST  
dnewman

Quote by: pieko

Should I try backdating Inkscape to 0.47?
pieko

If you are running Windows XP *and* no extensions are working for you *including* extensions provided with Inkscape, then you might consider backdating to Inkscape 0.47. However, that is not a problem you seem to be having. Instead, you are having an issue with a servo motor. That is unrelated to whether or not Inkscape extensions are correctly working.

I'll let those more familiar with hardware respond to your servo motor issue.

Regards,
Dan

Cow Canyon Saddle Clear Sky Chart

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Mt. Baldy,
California

Profile Email    

By: Windell (offline) on Friday, December 24 2010 @ 11:47 PM PST  
Windell

Have you checked out the possible fix that I was referring to on the mailing list?

http://groups.google.com/group/eggbotuser/browse_thread/thread/36dd7d8f7109efd2

Windell H. Oskay

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: Anonymous: pieko () on Saturday, December 25 2010 @ 09:44 PM PST  

Hi,
Thanks for the suggestion. I have read the topic on the mailing list (http://groups.google.com/group/eggbotuser/browse_thread/thread/36dd7d8f7109efd2).
The phenomenon mentioned seems to be similar to mine, but I guess there is a difference. In that case, the pen lift motor becomes quiet when the motor receives a pen-up command. But in this case, my motor doesn't stop making noise with that command.

Updating the EBB firmware from 2.02 to 2.10c makes nothing, or even worse. At 2.02 I could draw 'HELLO WORLD' through Inkscape (but all words were connected), but at 2.10, Inkscape could not finish drawing the letters due to some errors (serial errors and stuff like that).

I use windows XP. Although I don't know if my problem is because of the Inkscape version, I will backdating it because I have no idea other than that.

Best,
pieko

By: Windell (offline) on Sunday, December 26 2010 @ 02:14 AM PST  
Windell

It may be the case that there's a genuine problem with the EBB that is causing the problem then. It could probably be worked around by using a custom firmware version that re-maps the servo output to one of the other outputs. If you're willing to experiment with this a bit, and willing to try another firmware version or two, we can probably make it work. Otherwise, please contact our store to return your EBB for an exchange.

Windell H. Oskay

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: Anonymous: pieko () on Monday, December 27 2010 @ 01:27 PM PST  

Hi,
That sounds nice. I would like to see what happens with the custom firmware. I like such an experiment.
Thanks.

Quote by: Windell

It could probably be worked around by using a custom firmware version that re-maps the servo output to one of the other outputs. If you're willing to experiment with this a bit, and willing to try another firmware version or two, we can probably make it work.

Best,
pieko

All times are PDT. The time is now 11:30 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Evil Mad Scientist Forum Archives — Read only!

Please visit our new forums for new discussions.

DIY Hardware for Electronic Art

The Original Egg-Bot Kit

Octolively
Interactive LED kits

Meggy Jr RGB
LED matrix game
development kit.

Business-card sized
AVR target boards

Peggy 2
LED Pegboard kits

My Account