Forum Index > Projects > Egg-Bot
 When I try to toggle the pen up and down, I get an error message
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: bartandre () on Sunday, December 26 2010 @ 06:21 PM PST (Read 3405 times)  
Anonymous: bartandre

When I try to toggle the pen up and down, I get an error message saying:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "eggbot.py", line 24, in <module>
import serial
ImportError: No module named serial

This also happens when I try and manually control the motors.

I've noticed that: a) the led next to the usb is making a blink blink no blink, blink blink no blink pattern (different than what is shown in the setup video,) and b) my Mac wants me to set up this usb device in network preferences (the same as in the setup video.)

By: dnewman (offline) on Sunday, December 26 2010 @ 06:48 PM PST  
dnewman

To help you we need some additional details.

1. Which platform are you running on (Mac, Windows, or LInux)?
2. How did you install the Eggbot software (using the installer or by pulling the extensions directly)?

The error you are seeing indicates that the pySerial module is missing or is inaccessible. It is normally installed by the Eggbot software installer as the "serial" subdirectory in the Inkscape extensions directory. The error you are seeing is Python being unable to find or access this subdirectory. (A permissions problem would make the subdirectory inaccessible even if it is present.)

Armed with answers to the two questions above, we can give you some additional things to check.

Dan

Cow Canyon Saddle Clear Sky Chart

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Mt. Baldy,
California

Profile Email    

By: dnewman (offline) on Sunday, December 26 2010 @ 06:57 PM PST  
dnewman

Quote by: bartandre

I've noticed that: a) the led next to the usb is making a blink blink no blink, blink blink no blink pattern (different than what is shown in the setup video,) and b) my Mac wants me to set up this usb device in network preferences (the same as in the setup video.)

Sorry, I missed reading "Mac". First, the blinking pattern you describe is normal. As to (b), you just want to click on the "Cancel" button in the pop-up window from the Mac.

Since you're on a mac, the extensions should be in the directory

/Applications/Inkscape.app/Contents/Resources/extensions/

You can go to there easily from a terminal window if you are familiar with using terminal windows. From the Finder, you will want to go to the Applications folder and there find the Inkscape application. If you right mouse click on it (Control-click for a single button mouse), and then from the pop-up menu select "Show Package Contents". You will then see a new FInder window which shows a folder named "Contents". Click on that, then click on the "Resources" folder, then on the "extensions" folder. In the "extensions" folder there should be a folder named "serial". If that folder is missing, then that suggests that either you didn't use the Eggbot software installer *or* there is a problem with the installer. If you used the installer, then the next question is what are the permissions on the "serial" folder? You can select it and then press the two keys "Apple" and "i" to get info on the folder. It should be read-only (or read & write) for everyone.

Dan

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Mt. Baldy,
California

Profile Email    

By: dnewman (offline) on Sunday, December 26 2010 @ 07:01 PM PST  
dnewman

I think I know what your problem is. The latest installer for the Mac isn't correctly setting the permissions for the serial directory. It is not ending up "world" readable. You will need to set it to be world readable by changing it's permissions. You can do that from the "info" window I described in my prior post. Make it readable for "everyone".

Dan

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Mt. Baldy,
California

Profile Email    

By: Anonymous: bartandre () on Sunday, December 26 2010 @ 07:06 PM PST  
Anonymous: bartandre

seems to work. Thanks again.

By: dnewman (offline) on Sunday, December 26 2010 @ 07:52 PM PST  
dnewman

Thanks for the follow up.

Enjoy,
Dan

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Mt. Baldy,
California

Profile Email    

All times are PDT. The time is now 11:30 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Evil Mad Scientist Forum Archives — Read only!

Please visit our new forums for new discussions.

DIY Hardware for Electronic Art

The Original Egg-Bot Kit

Octolively
Interactive LED kits

Meggy Jr RGB
LED matrix game
development kit.

Business-card sized
AVR target boards

Peggy 2
LED Pegboard kits

My Account