Forum Index > Projects > Egg-Bot
 Win Ver 0.48 Does Not Recognize/Load Egg-Bot Extensions
 |  Printable Version
By: phutton11 (offline) on Thursday, January 13 2011 @ 11:44 AM PST (Read 3652 times)  
phutton11

I have successfully downloaded and implemented Win Ver 0.48 (works well) but I cannot get it to recognize the Egg-Bot extensions Ver 2.1.4 I have tried loading them under both InkscapePortable\extensions and InkscapePortable\share\extensions but in neither case do they appear under the Extension dropdown list.when the program is started. In searching the forum I did not find any additional instructions for invoking them other than placing them in the directory (have i missed a step?). I am running this under XP_Pro/SP3. Any help would be appreciated.

Forum Apprentice
Apprentice

Profile Email    

By: dnewman (offline) on Thursday, January 13 2011 @ 11:57 AM PST  
dnewman

The extensions go into

C:/Program Files/Inkscape/share/extensions/

The Eggbot software installer for Windows will automatically put them there. In the above

C:/Program Files/Inkscape/

can be replaced with the a different drive letter and install directory if you have installed
Inkscape to some other drive and/or directory. The key point is that the extensions go
into the share/extensions/ subdirectory of the Inkscape "top level" directory.

And, you have to exit and restart Inkscape before it will see changes to the extensions/
directory.

Dan

Cow Canyon Saddle Clear Sky Chart

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Mt. Baldy,
California

Profile Email    

By: phutton11 (offline) on Thursday, January 13 2011 @ 10:02 PM PST  
phutton11

Dan......Thanks for the reply. I already tried placing the extension in both places and after restarting I could not get the extensions to appear (see attached images).

I did notice that my main directory is named InkscapePortable instead of Inkscape. Would that have anything to do with the problem?

Thanks.....Paul

Forum Apprentice
Apprentice

Profile Email    

By: dnewman (offline) on Thursday, January 13 2011 @ 10:23 PM PST  
dnewman

I figured that you just happened to choose the directory name "InkscapePortable" when you installed Inkscape. But, a quick web search reveals that there is a version (fork?) of Inkscape called "Inkscape Portable". One that is intended to be tiny. My guess is that that version doesn't include bulky things like, say, the Python language interpreter. The Inkscape extension mechanism requires Python in order to function. But, even if it does include Python, know that no one (that I'm aware of) has tested the Eggbot with that version of Inkscape. The version of Inkscape which is expected to be used is that distributed by inkscape.org.

Please try installing the actual Inkscape distribution for Windows. See

http://inkscape.org/download/

If that is the version you installed, then I'm unsure of what you should try next.

Regards,
Dan

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Mt. Baldy,
California

Profile Email    

By: dnewman (offline) on Thursday, January 13 2011 @ 10:26 PM PST  
dnewman

P.S. I see that the Inkscape download page has a link to the portable one. Use the "Installer" link instead.

Dan

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Mt. Baldy,
California

Profile Email    

By: dnewman (offline) on Thursday, January 13 2011 @ 10:40 PM PST  
dnewman

FWIW,

I went ahead and installed Inkscape Portable on my Windows XP Pro SP3 system. I copied the Eggbot extensions to

C:/Program Files/InkscapePortable/App/Inkscape/share/extensions/

and then launched

C:/Program Files/InkscapePortable/App/Inkscape/inkscape.exe

The running Inkscape showed the Eggbot extensions under the Extensions menu. However, this isn't the version of Inkscape that the Eggbot is tested with. For all I know, things are working for me owing to something done to my registry by the "normal" Inkscape. I recommend that you install the "normal" version of Inkscape and then install the Eggbot extensions using the install kit from

http://code.google.com/p/eggbotcode/downloads/list?q=label:Featured

and then see if the Eggbot extensions show up when you run that version of Inkscape.

Dan

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Mt. Baldy,
California

Profile Email    

By: phutton11 (offline) on Friday, January 14 2011 @ 11:51 AM PST  
phutton11

Dan.....Thanks for the help. I removed the protable version re-loaded the Windows installer version, then reran the extension installer and now everything is in place.

The first time I tried to use the installer version but received a windows error message (probably a bad download) so I tried the portable versiona nd it installed fine. Guess you are right, there must be something that that version doesn't support extension.

Well, I'mm off to start my Easter egg collection.

Thanks, again......Paul

Forum Apprentice
Apprentice

Profile Email    

All times are PDT. The time is now 07:08 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Evil Mad Scientist Forum Archives — Read only!

Please visit our new forums for new discussions.

DIY Hardware for Electronic Art

The Original Egg-Bot Kit

Octolively
Interactive LED kits

Meggy Jr RGB
LED matrix game
development kit.

Business-card sized
AVR target boards

Peggy 2
LED Pegboard kits

My Account