Forum Index > Projects > Egg-Bot
 DXF files for egg bot chasis
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: Nightwork () on Monday, January 17 2011 @ 12:23 AM PST (Read 13439 times)  
Anonymous: Nightwork

Hello all,

Are the cad files for the egg bot available? I have access to a cnc router and I think I can make it myself.

Thanks,

Nightwork

By: Windell (offline) on Monday, January 17 2011 @ 01:21 AM PST  
Windell

>Are the cad files for the egg bot available?

Yes, of course. Look at the Eggbot documentation.

Windell H. Oskay
drwho(at)evilmadscientist.com
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: Anonymous: =ml= () on Saturday, May 28 2011 @ 03:30 PM PDT  
Anonymous: =ml=

Quote by: Windell

>Are the cad files for the egg bot available?

Yes, of course. Look at the Eggbot documentation.

I've looked and could not find them. Frown Link please! Smile

Go!

=ml=

By: Windell (offline) on Saturday, May 28 2011 @ 03:32 PM PDT  
Windell

http://wiki.evilmadscience.com/Hardware_reference_design

Windell H. Oskay

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: Anonymous: =ml= () on Saturday, May 28 2011 @ 05:32 PM PDT  
Anonymous: =ml=

Thanks! Big Grin

Go!

=ml=

By: Anonymous: Jagrolet () on Wednesday, September 28 2011 @ 06:50 PM PDT  
Anonymous: Jagrolet

The reference to the CAD files is only a reference to the Inkscape files.
IMHO these are not CAD files. They are vector files or "coordinate enabled artwork files". My problem is that not one single reference dimension is given on any drawing I have been able to find.
In order to properly scale and be confident that the scaling is correct, a reference dimension is a mandatory requirement.
I can save as DXF from Inkscape and get them to open in Autocad, however they appear to export from Inkscape in metric. Scaling by 0.03937 gets me close to what appears as the correct dimensions, but since there are no references I am not confident it is scaled correctly. Also A NEMA 17 Stepper motor screw holes are 31mm or 1.22 inches square.
Scaling the output from Inkscape using the mm to inch conversion does not give me the proper dimension between the stepper holes in the exported and scaled drawing.
So what is Inkscape actually exporting?
Instead if 1.22, I get 1.52.
Even tried using Illustrator. Same results. I plan to cut the parts on my CNC.

Are there native DXF files available and not Inkscape files? I repeat, I do not want "vector art work" files. Those are for the printing industry, not the manufacturing industry.

Hard to believe I'm the first one to want actual DXF files at the proper scale.
I can certainly scale them however I need to, but the lack of one single reference dimension on the entire project is just poor and lazy engineering. Give me a dimension and I'll solve this issue for everyone by posting the correct geometry files for those who want to use CNC.

By: Windell (offline) on Wednesday, September 28 2011 @ 07:26 PM PDT  
Windell

Hard to believe I'm the first one to want actual DXF files at the proper scale.
I can certainly scale them however I need to, but the lack of one single reference dimension on the entire project is just poor and lazy engineering. Give me a dimension and I'll solve this issue for everyone by posting the correct geometry files for those who want to use CNC.

The "actual DXF files?" Wow. We've never made DXF files of this. I guess there's only one way to do things in your universe?

I think that I know what the problem is with your scaling. And I could suggest several other good methods to help you get where you need to go, and I could also provide you with a dimensioned version. Or a proper DXF. Or point out several different ways to get the dimensions out of the files.

But rather than just asking, or heck, asking nicely, I think that you just came here to insult and berate us. So never mind. Please don't post here again.

Windell H. Oskay

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: Anonymous: Jagrolet () on Wednesday, September 28 2011 @ 08:15 PM PDT  

I sincerely apologize if I made you feel insulted or berated.
Not my intention at all. This project is a fantastic effort, and I guess after working in the aerospace industry for 20 years as a systems design engineer I was a little frustrated that I could not find a single dimension in any post I looked at. I only needed one. the rest is relative. In the last hour or so I have managed to reverse engineer the drawings based on the known dimensions of a NEMA 17 Stepper motor screw holes being 31mm square.
I scaled everything relative to that. It appears that the height of the frames are 2.00 inches, and the width is 10.75 (Rounded to the nearest decimal)
After cleaning up the output from the Inkscape program and simplifying all the paths into simplified lines and arcs I plan to model everything in Solidworks followed by generating tool paths for Mach 3 G-Code. I can output all design files in DXF, IGS and STEP so they are compatible on cross platform 3D CAD systems. I'll make them available when complete if anyone is interested.
Again, sorry...It's been a long day....

By: Windell (offline) on Wednesday, September 28 2011 @ 08:23 PM PDT  
Windell

Inkscape's DXF exporter is terrible; I'd strongly advise using an EPS export as your starting point, or it will introduce additional inaccuracy.

There is a gEDA PCB file included with the distribution as well, which produces the actual gerber files sent for manufacturing. PCB can directly output G-code and EPS, and you might want to consider those as additional options.

And, let me say that *many* people have successfully built working Eggbots from our documentation. We strongly prefer to release open source design in open formats; if we were to design and release it in solidworks instead, can you understand how many fewer people would be able to use it?

Windell H. Oskay

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: dnewman (offline) on Wednesday, September 28 2011 @ 08:26 PM PDT  
dnewman

Quote by: Jagrolet

The reference to the CAD files is only a reference to the Inkscape files. I repeat, I do not want "vector art work" files. Those are for the printing industry, not the manufacturing industry.

A heck of a lot of good engineering went into the Eggbot and EiBotBoard over the course of many years. Work which Bruce Shapiro, Ben Trombley, Brian Schmalz, & Windell Oskay chose to openly share with the world. And, in the spirit of Open Hardware and Open Source, they made the right choice in using an open format (SVG) to publish designs in. DXF is, after all, a proprietary format.

In the future, try not to bite off the head of folks generously sharing their time and passion.

Regards,
Dan

Cow Canyon Saddle Clear Sky Chart

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Mt. Baldy,
California

Profile Email    

By: Anonymous: Jagrolet () on Wednesday, September 28 2011 @ 09:09 PM PDT  

Thanks for the EPS tip.
Agreed on the Open source. It was the right choice. I was just surprised to see that no one had already posted any dxf files since as far as I'm aware there are no CAM programs out there that can read a SVG file. Seems like a perfect project for the home CNC guys. All they need is a dxf.
I was planning to post only IGS and Step formats when I finished. It makes hacks, tweaks, and improvements to the design quicker for those that are savvy in the arts of design and they wouldn't have to spend the time going from vector, to CAD, and finally to 3D. Those are the universal sharing formats for just about any 3D system and there are open source viewers for those formats available. I like to model everything in 3D before I build just for that warm and fuzzy I get knowing how everything fits.
I'm following that path anyway and the end files are just a by product of my design process.
No extra effort on my part. I was just going to share and save some of the CNC savvy builders a few hours of fiddling with Inkscape.
The output for Inkscape and Illustrator is really dirty.
Circles are made of hundreds of line segments, and can be simplified, but its still never quite right. The CNC software also has to process every segment since it wont know its just a circle with a center point and a radius. It sees it as hundreds of straight lines and the GCode gets huge and slow.

By: Anonymous: Jonathan Bowen () on Thursday, December 15 2011 @ 06:14 PM PST  
Anonymous: Jonathan Bowen

Are these DXF files posted anywhere yet?

I can work from svg but i'd rather not. I'm going to be making a custom frame and wanted the base to start with. Then I can start chopping it up and moding it.

I do all my laser cut design in sketchup usually. If someone has a sketchup model then I'd be very grateful!

By: dnewman (offline) on Thursday, December 15 2011 @ 06:23 PM PST  
dnewman

Quote by: Jonathan Bowen

Are these DXF files posted anywhere yet?

I can work from svg but i'd rather not. I'm going to be making a custom frame and wanted the base to start with. Then I can start chopping it up and moding it.

I do all my laser cut design in sketchup usually. If someone has a sketchup model then I'd be very grateful!

1. Open files in Inkscape
2. File > Save As ...
3. Select DXF as the output format ["Desktop Cutting Plotter (R13)"]

Now, I'll be the first to admit that I've not tried importing the resulting DXF into SketchUp. I've instead used a Ruby SketchUp plugin for importing SVG as 2D outlines.

Regards,
Dan

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Mt. Baldy,
California

Profile Email    

By: Anonymous: Joanthan Bowen () on Thursday, December 15 2011 @ 07:27 PM PST  
Anonymous: Joanthan Bowen

That was the next step if Jagrolet didn't post them anywhere. I figured if he had cleaned them up then that would save me some time.

I didn't know there was a plugin for sketchup to import svgs. Do you have a link to it? I'm can't seem to find a copy.

By: dnewman (offline) on Thursday, December 15 2011 @ 07:34 PM PST  
dnewman

Quote by: Joanthan Bowen

That was the next step if Jagrolet didn't post them anywhere. I figured if he had cleaned them up then that would save me some time.

I didn't know there was a plugin for sketchup to import svgs. Do you have a link to it? I'm can't seem to find a copy.

See

http://rhin.crai.archi.fr/rld/plugin_details.php?id=435

If you're using SketchUp 8, you will need to enable Ruby plugins from the Preferences dialog. And you will have to zip up the .rb file into a .rbz file,

zip -r svg.rbz svg.rb

See the directions at the web page for how you need to tell Inkscape to save the SVG. I've not used this plugin with SketchUp 8 so I don't know how well it plays with that release.

Dan

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Mt. Baldy,
California

Profile Email    

All times are PDT. The time is now 11:45 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Evil Mad Scientist Forum Archives — Read only!

Please visit our new forums for new discussions.

DIY Hardware for Electronic Art

The Original Egg-Bot Kit

Octolively
Interactive LED kits

Meggy Jr RGB
LED matrix game
development kit.

Business-card sized
AVR target boards

Peggy 2
LED Pegboard kits

My Account