Forum Index > Projects > Other projects
 Question regarding homopolar motor
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: Digital Physics () on Friday, May 02 2008 @ 12:00 AM PDT (Read 3476 times)  
Anonymous: Digital Physics

I hope this is being posted to the appropriate area (search yielded similar topic).

First off, thank you for the post on the homopolar motor. Amazingly fascinating for as raw and simple as it is. A problem has cropped up in my experimentation of the device and I can't seem to find a reason for it (I've asked around and done my own research). I'm trying to remove the battery from the equation (wait for it Smile ) and replace it with an external DC power source. I've got an older HP power variable power supply that I am using as the replacement, which, in my mind, should be an acceptable substitute to the battery. Well, nothing happens except for a spark here and there. I'd think that the same principles would apply, regardless of the source of power. I like to think that I have a pretty good base understanding of electricity and physics, but I'm definitely not an expert. Any ideas on how one would introduce an external power source to this configuration? Is it possible or does the battery play another role other than just a source of DC power in the demonstrated configuration?

Thanks!

By: Anonymous: Digital Physics () on Friday, May 02 2008 @ 08:53 AM PDT  
Anonymous: Digital Physics

On a more detailed look and further experimentation, it appears that I've grossly underestimated the current potential of an AA battery Rolling Eyes . The power supply I'm using has a maximum of 500ma output (up to 30V). After reducing and refining the friction point a bit more, it does appear that I am getting very, very minimal rotation from my external PSU, so it must be something related to the current output limit. Sorry for the bother and I'll keep messing with it.

Thanks!

All times are PDT. The time is now 10:37 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Evil Mad Scientist Forum Archives — Read only!

Please visit our new forums for new discussions.

DIY Hardware for Electronic Art

The Original Egg-Bot Kit

Octolively
Interactive LED kits

Meggy Jr RGB
LED matrix game
development kit.

Business-card sized
AVR target boards

Peggy 2
LED Pegboard kits

My Account