Forum Index > Projects > Egg-Bot
 printing layers
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: kerosen () on Saturday, April 23 2011 @ 12:44 PM PDT (Read 7431 times)  
Anonymous: kerosen

I have a couple of drawings which have 2-3 layers. I have problems with aligning these layers, there is always a un-syncronisation between them. Maybe I'm printing them in a wrong way.
So, in the layer tab from the Eggbot control I chose on the "Plot only layers beginning with" to 1, therefore the first layer is print. Then i change the pen and fix the value to 2 a print again - without moving the egg whatsoever. And the two layers are somehow not syncronised..

Where is problem?

How can I print a group of layers and having the pause tochange colors?

Can I stop the printing in order to move a little bit the egg and then to resume?
Eek!

By: dnewman (offline) on Saturday, April 23 2011 @ 01:08 PM PDT  
dnewman

Slippage is a real problem in getting good registration between layers. So, first you need to make sure that you are reducing slippage as much as possible. See the "improving precision" page linked to on the Eggbot wiki,

http://wiki.evilmadscience.com/Improving_precision

Another problem spot is that if you're using pens that don't have a nice, built in collar to ensure that they are clamped at the same barrel position, then you will have issues with pen tip registration. For Sharpies, I have to carefully mark a clamping height on each pen barrel. And even then, there can still be issues with getting the pen tips to register at the same spot on the egg. I tend to have a spot on the egg from where I've done registration tests.

Can I stop the printing in order to move a little bit the egg and then to resume?

Doing that is pretty tricky and I don't have any good advice. Really, eliminating slippage as much as possible and then getting good registration of the pen tips should get you good results.

Dan

Cow Canyon Saddle Clear Sky Chart

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Mt. Baldy,
California

Profile Email    

By: Windell (offline) on Saturday, April 23 2011 @ 01:40 PM PDT  
Windell

Yes, you can use the pause/resume feature to do this (Press PRG button to pause-- wait for it to actually stop --then use the Resume tab to resume).

However, it's much better to make sure that the egg is firmly coupled to avoid slippage, and to check for registration before plotting.

My advice: Add a layer to your drawing that has just a couple of registration marks on it, in an inconspicuous location. Ideally, make two tiny "+" marks in different locations. After every pen change, and before plotting the artwork with the new color, run the test layer to check your registration. You can even put a tiny piece of masking tape on the egg where these marks will go, so that there's no final mark on the egg.

Windell H. Oskay
drwho(at)evilmadscientist.com
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: Anonymous: kerosen () on Saturday, April 23 2011 @ 02:04 PM PDT  

Thanks guys, I'll try again.

How should I print multiple layers? Layer by layer by selecting the layer number or else? How can select multiple layers and make the machine stop to change the pen?

When I pressed PRG and then Resume the pen went somewhere else instead of continuing from the same location.

By: Windell (offline) on Saturday, April 23 2011 @ 02:20 PM PDT  
Windell

How should I print multiple layers? Layer by layer by selecting the layer number or else? How can select multiple layers and make the machine stop to change the pen?

If you want to print layers one at a time, then make sure that they start with a unique number, like

1- red
2- blue
3-green
5- black

Tell it to print layer 3, and it will plot just the "green" layer, with name 3-green.

If you want to print several different layers in the same color, give those layers the same starting number:

1-red
2-blue
5- black
2- also blue
2 - blue layer #3

Tell it to print layer 2, and it will plot all three layers starting with "2".

When I pressed PRG and then Resume the pen went somewhere else instead of continuing from the same location.

I have never seen a documented, reproducible case where this happens, but I have heard occasional reports of similar behavior. I'd suggest trying again a few times (on sacrificial print media) to see if you can get a handle on what's actually happening.

Windell H. Oskay

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: dnewman (offline) on Saturday, April 23 2011 @ 05:25 PM PDT  
dnewman

Quote by: Windell

My advice: Add a layer to your drawing that has just a couple of registration marks on it, in an inconspicuous location. Ideally, make two tiny "+" marks in different locations. After every pen change, and before plotting the artwork with the new color, run the test layer to check your registration. You can even put a tiny piece of masking tape on the egg where these marks will go, so that there's no final mark on the egg.

Kerosen,
And then if things do not register, just use the "Manual" tab and with it, manually jog the egg's position by turning the egg motor or moving the egg pen. When moving the egg pen (Walk motor 1 (pen)), a positive value for the walk distance moves the pen towards the head stock and a negative value towards the tailstock. I won't try to get the egg rotation straight, especially as it involves also knowing which end you're looking from! After doing these a few times, you'll be able to instinctively know just how much you need to jog things by. Typically, you will find no or minimal slippage along the pen axis -- just slight errors caused by variations in pen tips. The more significant corrections will be needed in the direction of egg rotation.

Dan

Cow Canyon Saddle Clear Sky Chart

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Mt. Baldy,
California

Profile Email    

By: Anonymous: kerosen () on Sunday, April 24 2011 @ 01:51 AM PDT  

You are very professional, guys, thank you. It makes sense what you said and I'll follow your advice. I used different pens so this was an error as well from my side.

In the attach you will see my example of PRG and Resume procedure and how the pen started from different position once I press Resume.

I'll ask a stupid question... Oops!
Regarding the fonts extension, in the documentation says they need to be copied in
OS X: "/Applications/Inkscape.app/Contents/Resources/extensions".
I don't know where this folder is.... In the Application folder there is the app file Inkscape.app, but no folder as such. So, where should I install (copy) the fonts?
Thanks a lot for taking time and help the community.
K.

By: Anonymous: kerosen () on Sunday, April 24 2011 @ 01:55 AM PDT  

I don't know how to upload a picture...Cry

By: Windell (offline) on Sunday, April 24 2011 @ 01:55 AM PDT  
Windell

Regarding the fonts extension, in the documentation says they need to be copied in
OS X: "/Applications/Inkscape.app/Contents/Resources/extensions".
I don't know where this folder is.... In the Application folder there is the app file Inkscape.app, but no folder as such.

In the finder, select from the "Go" menu the item "Go to Folder..." and paste that location ( /Applications/Inkscape.app/Contents/Resources/extensions ).

Windell H. Oskay

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: beckyshaw (offline) on Wednesday, May 11 2011 @ 06:20 PM PDT  
beckyshaw

Your having problems with registration?? I hate you (not really) and your whiny egg-bot owning self.

Actually, I am just really jealous that you have an egg-bot and I don't. (really)

Becky Shaw
Abstract Art

Forum Apprentice
Apprentice

Profile Email    

By: METHEW007 (offline) on Wednesday, September 21 2011 @ 11:42 AM PDT  
METHEW007

Make sure that your pens are fitted at same barrel position and keep the layers in order.
This is a common problem , you should check it on your side if you are not doing any mistake white fitting the pens...

Forum Apprentice
Apprentice

illinois

Profile Email Website  

By: jamesmorison2011 (offline) on Thursday, November 03 2011 @ 12:14 AM PDT  
jamesmorison2011

Thank you guys, i had a similar issue.
Regards

Forum Apprentice
Apprentice

Profile Email    

By: ksalam (offline) on Thursday, November 03 2011 @ 04:13 AM PDT  
ksalam

Tried this and it worked. Thanks

Quote by: METHEW007

Make sure that your pens are fitted at same barrel position and keep the layers in order.
This is a common problem , you should check it on your side if you are not doing any mistake white fitting the pens...

Forum Apprentice
Apprentice

Profile Email    

All times are PDT. The time is now 05:10 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Evil Mad Scientist Forum Archives — Read only!

Please visit our new forums for new discussions.

DIY Hardware for Electronic Art

The Original Egg-Bot Kit

Octolively
Interactive LED kits

Meggy Jr RGB
LED matrix game
development kit.

Business-card sized
AVR target boards

Peggy 2
LED Pegboard kits

My Account