Forum Index > Projects > Egg-Bot
 Mesh Distort to match egg
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: Yorisimo () on Saturday, June 25 2011 @ 07:08 PM PDT (Read 2400 times)  
Anonymous: Yorisimo

I would like to distort my path in Inkscape such that the top and bottom of the paths get vertically compressed (see attached image). This way things drawn at the top and bottom of the document will appear smaller at the ends of the egg. In Adobe Illustrator this can be done using envelope distort>make with mesh. I couldn't find a similar option in inkscape. My path has lots of nodes, so I don't want to manually move them to get the desired effect. Any ideas?

By: dnewman (offline) on Saturday, June 25 2011 @ 07:44 PM PDT  
dnewman

Quote by: Yorisimo

I would like to distort my path in Inkscape such that the top and bottom of the paths get vertically compressed (see attached image).

What is your objective in applying such a distortion?

In some cases, for drawing on spheres, you want in the 2D Cartesian Inkscape drawing to horizontally stretch the objects closer to the poles. That because when then drawn on a sphere or egg they will physically the be drawn smaller. (The circumference decreases as you approach the poles hence objects decrease in physical size as you approach the poles.) See

http://wiki.evilmadscience.com/Stretch

for a contributed extension which applies the distortion I mentioned. There is no extension I'm aware of which provides the distortion I understand you to be asking about.

Dan

Cow Canyon Saddle Clear Sky Chart

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Mt. Baldy,
California

Profile Email    

By: dnewman (offline) on Saturday, June 25 2011 @ 09:11 PM PDT  
dnewman

Also, keep in mind that you can do all of your drawing work in Illustrator. From Illustrator, save your drawing as a SVG file. Open the SVG file in Inkscape and then use Inkscape to plot the drawing on the Eggbot.

Dan

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Mt. Baldy,
California

Profile Email    

By: Anonymous: Yorisimo () on Saturday, June 25 2011 @ 11:39 PM PDT  
Anonymous: Yorisimo

I am doing the tesselation in the picture. Since the top and bottom of the egg are smaller, i also want the height of the tesselating unit to shrink as it goes up and down the egg.

I guess I will have to use Adobe Illustrator for this and import back and forth. Thanks for the tip on saving from AI as a SVG. I was trying to import an AI file in inkscape, and it changed my document size for some reason, which meant more futzing to get it right.

By: dnewman (offline) on Sunday, June 26 2011 @ 10:01 AM PDT  
dnewman

BTW, the latest release of the Eggbot software has a fix for an issue which one person was seeing with Adobe Illustrator SVG files. I don't myself know what that user was doing which generated the SVG which turned up the issue. I do know that a number of other folks used SVG from Illustrator without encountering the issue. So, you may well not see the problem. Here's the report of the issue,

http://code.google.com/p/eggbotcode/issues/detail?id=36

and here's the release notes for the latest Eggbot software release (which only just came out a week or so ago),

http://wiki.evilmadscience.com/Eggbot_software_release_notes

Dan

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Mt. Baldy,
California

Profile Email    

All times are PDT. The time is now 10:24 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Evil Mad Scientist Forum Archives — Read only!

Please visit our new forums for new discussions.

DIY Hardware for Electronic Art

The Original Egg-Bot Kit

Octolively
Interactive LED kits

Meggy Jr RGB
LED matrix game
development kit.

Business-card sized
AVR target boards

Peggy 2
LED Pegboard kits

My Account