Forum Index > Projects > Diavolino
 Diagnosing a problem Diavolino
 |  Printable Version
By: tromo (offline) on Thursday, September 22 2011 @ 07:41 PM PDT (Read 1393 times)  
tromo

After three builds sans problems, I have one that refuses to work... I built a Diavolino to be powered from either the USB or the 5V adapter (from the starter pack). When I plug it in, there is no blinking light and I cannot upload code to it. I've checked the board at several points with a meter and it's getting a tad over 5V. The reset switch works (continuity), the LED is inserted the correct way, and the resistors measure correct. The only thing I noticed is that if I have the board powered and I touch a probe to the 1K resistor, then the LED will light. I see no obvious cracks in the board, bridged solder, etc, at least not to my unskilled eye...

Does anybody have a suggestion on how to further diagnose the problem?

Thanks!

Forum Apprentice
Apprentice

Profile Email    

By: Windell (offline) on Friday, September 23 2011 @ 12:45 PM PDT  
Windell

Nine out of ten times, something like this will turn out to be a bad solder joint somewhere, so your first task should be to thoroughly check the solder joints on the board. Check for dry/cracked looking solder joints and try touching up areas that aren't obviously beautiful.

The most critical parts of the board are the crystal and two capacitors (black-stripe marked)-- check those especially carefully.

It's also possible (but unlikely) that the chip was not pre-programmed with the bootloader. If you happen to have an AVR ISP programmer (or are willing to use one of the other Diavolinos as one), you could try reflashing it, to see if it's responsive that way.

Windell H. Oskay
drwho(at)evilmadscientist.com
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: tromo (offline) on Friday, September 23 2011 @ 07:36 PM PDT  
tromo

Eureka! I had forgotten about using an arduino/diavolino as an ISP. After using a pull-up resistor to disable the serial reset, I was able to flash a new bootloader and I now have a heartbeat. Thanks for the help!!

Forum Apprentice
Apprentice

Profile Email    

All times are PDT. The time is now 09:21 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Evil Mad Scientist Forum Archives — Read only!

Please visit our new forums for new discussions.

DIY Hardware for Electronic Art

The Original Egg-Bot Kit

Octolively
Interactive LED kits

Meggy Jr RGB
LED matrix game
development kit.

Business-card sized
AVR target boards

Peggy 2
LED Pegboard kits

My Account