Forum Index > Projects > Interactive LED projects
 Larson Scanner: One LED won't come on??
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: STAN () on Thursday, October 27 2011 @ 08:27 AM PDT (Read 1163 times)  
Anonymous: STAN

I have to admit, this was my first electronics-chip-soldering project ever! The 'electronics for dummies' instructions were great and overall, it wasn't so hard! However, I do have one LED that doesn't come on- D0. I swapped out the spare LED and still no dice. (I did check to make sure the short lead goes into the flat side as well)

Thoughts on what else i can do to troubleshoot? It's working great with the other 8 LEDS! Thanks.

By: Windell (offline) on Thursday, October 27 2011 @ 11:37 AM PDT  
Windell

It's a very simple circuit, and there's really not that much that can go wrong. For that LED to light, the electrical connections have to be made from both sides of the LED to where those signals come from. On one side, the electrical connection goes to the resistor, through that resistor to the other side, and then to the chip. Check each part of that: trace the wiring on the circuit board to the resistor, and check the soldering at both sides. Then trace the other side to the chip, and check the soldering at that pin of the chip.

If everything is good there, it's possible that you've torn one of the printed wires on the circuit board. The most likely location for this is right at the LED, so check both of those to see if there might be a problem. If so, you can add a wire by hand (clipped resistor or LED lead) to connect the wire where it needs to go.

Windell H. Oskay
drwho(at)evilmadscientist.com
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

All times are PDT. The time is now 11:31 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Evil Mad Scientist Forum Archives — Read only!

Please visit our new forums for new discussions.

DIY Hardware for Electronic Art

The Original Egg-Bot Kit

Octolively
Interactive LED kits

Meggy Jr RGB
LED matrix game
development kit.

Business-card sized
AVR target boards

Peggy 2
LED Pegboard kits

My Account