Forum Index > Projects > Larson Scanner kit and LED Menorah kit support
 Menorah - tricky soldering with the raised LEDs
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: michael peachey () on Saturday, December 17 2011 @ 08:43 PM PST (Read 939 times)  
Anonymous: michael peachey

Hi -

Everything is the kit works great, except the shamash which we tried to solder in a slightly raised position. In our first 2 kits (of three) the little ring of metal which the LED lead gets soldered to came off and stuck to the lead of the LED. The flush mount LEDs are all great.

attempting to resolder the LED or the spare LED does't seem to produce any results, my theory being that there is no metal to which the LED lead would get soldered to.

My other theory is that soldering stuff that is not flush against toe board and stable is risky since there is a moment when the metal on the board is a little melty and soft and any jiggling about is going to cause the little tiny ring to detach from the little ribbon of wire.

Everything in the kit works great, except that one LED.

So, I guess my question is a soldering question. Is there a way to repair this issue. Or is the PCB simply useless now?

By: Windell (offline) on Monday, December 19 2011 @ 01:14 PM PST  
Windell

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble.

It is certainly possible to repair the kits, but you'll need to (1) fix the LEDs in place somehow and (2) add new wires to the leads.

For the first part, fixing the LED in place, I'd suggest putting a glass or plastic bead or spacer of another kind around the LED leads, to hold it up above the circuit board, with a dab of glue to hold things in place. One thing that you could do is put a short section of a drinking straw there, possibly filled with epoxy or a similar substance to keep it fixed.

For the second part, you'll need to make the connections from the LED to the two things that it needs to connect to. One side of each LED is connected together by the wiring on the board. Identify that side, and run a wire -- a clipped resistor or LED lead for example --to make the connection from that side to a neighboring pin on that same side. For the other pin, you'll need to identify where that trace goes, and hook to it at the other end. D4 is powered through R4, D8 is powered through R8, and so forth, which might give you a hint.

Windell H. Oskay
drwho(at)evilmadscientist.com
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

All times are PDT. The time is now 11:55 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Evil Mad Scientist Forum Archives — Read only!

Please visit our new forums for new discussions.

DIY Hardware for Electronic Art

The Original Egg-Bot Kit

Octolively
Interactive LED kits

Meggy Jr RGB
LED matrix game
development kit.

Business-card sized
AVR target boards

Peggy 2
LED Pegboard kits

My Account