Forum Index > Projects > Diavolino
 Enhancement: "outrigger" header to correct pin spacing
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: bjh () on Sunday, January 01 2012 @ 03:10 PM PST (Read 1705 times)  
Anonymous: bjh

Googling around for what gives with Arduino's wonky header spacing turned up this great hack

I'm certainly going to do that to all my boards, but it would be fantastic if a future rev of the Diavolino included built-in support for it (i.e. a slight extension of those traces and holes for a second header) It would make the board ever-so-slightly wider, but otherwise would maintain complete compatibility and be a great improvement.

By: Windell (offline) on Sunday, January 01 2012 @ 05:23 PM PST  
Windell

We won't add that to the Diavolino-- there are already plenty of Arduino variants that do have "corrected" pin spacing, and the Diavolino is intend to be one of the smaller, simpler, shield-compatible versions.

There are also "bent" header sets, for adding protoboards as shields, and our own Googly Eye Shield also already adds a separate row of grid-spaced holes.

But I guess the real question is, what are you *trying* to do, that can't be done by easier means? When you can use a set of bent headers (or bend your own headers) any old grid-spaced protoboard already works fine with Arduino pin spacing, so we haven't really felt the like it's a "big" problem that needs more solutions.

Windell H. Oskay
drwho(at)evilmadscientist.com
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: Anonymous: bjh () on Monday, January 02 2012 @ 12:07 AM PST  
Anonymous: bjh

I very much appreciate the minimalism of the Diavolino, this just strikes me as a nice, simple, and compatible solution to the pin spacing problem.

Is it really a problem? Personally, I've got a pile of protoboards and bent headers kinda give me hives; thought I'd suggest it, though.

By: Windell (offline) on Monday, January 02 2012 @ 01:35 AM PST  
Windell

No, obviously no harm in suggesting it, and we've had a lot of other suggestions for similar changes-- additional rows of headers, or entirely abandoning the Arduino grid spacing altogether. (We do have other boards that *just* have the grid spacing, in case you want to go that way.)

Windell H. Oskay
drwho(at)evilmadscientist.com
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

All times are PDT. The time is now 07:19 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Evil Mad Scientist Forum Archives — Read only!

Please visit our new forums for new discussions.

DIY Hardware for Electronic Art

The Original Egg-Bot Kit

Octolively
Interactive LED kits

Meggy Jr RGB
LED matrix game
development kit.

Business-card sized
AVR target boards

Peggy 2
LED Pegboard kits

My Account