Forum Index > Projects > Clock Kits
 1 second LED activates 2 hour LEDs instead
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: J-Bo () on Saturday, January 14 2012 @ 01:24 PM PST (Read 1288 times)  
Anonymous: J-Bo

When the second hand (blue) LED should sweep to D51, D 51 doesn't light but the red LEDs at positions 10 o'clock and 12 o'clock (plus the actual hour LED) activate instead. Otherwise it works perfectly. The second hand sweep worked fine before I put the red ring on. I had a little trouble getting the red ring secured so I might have been a little rough with the soldering iron at the end. I visually checked all the solder connections on all 3 boards and they all look solid. R 1 and R 5 seem to be fine.

I've been tearing it apart and putting it back together and am running out of ideas. I'm a relative newbie and have been reading up on the charlieplexing. D51 is activated by LED 5:1 - and LED 1:1 + (I think). I can't seem to nail down the traces for the red LEDs though. I assume I shorted something out to get the red LED to light but I can't seem to see anything. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

By: Windell (offline) on Saturday, January 14 2012 @ 04:05 PM PST  
Windell

I'm guessing that this is about a Bulbdial clock. Big Grin

Can you please clarify which LEDs on the red ring are lighting up erroneously? Is it the LED at position 10, 12, or are they the LEDs that produce shadows at those locations. And, importantly, how is the clock oriented when you are describing these "hand" positions?

Please orient the clock with the * shape in the UPPER LEFT when you describe the positions, and refer to the positions of the LEDs, not the shadows.

If it were the LEDs at 12 and 1 on the red ring, that might be a little easier to diagnose.

Obvious thing to check: Are all of the LEDs on the red ring lighting up in the correct sequence?

Windell H. Oskay
drwho(at)evilmadscientist.com
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: Anonymous: J-Bo () on Saturday, January 14 2012 @ 08:38 PM PST  
Anonymous: J-Bo

Sorry-

When the blue seconds LEDs sweep by D51 (upper right LED) on the seconds ring, that particular blue LED doesn't light and the red LEDs at 12 oclock (top) and 10 oclock (upper left) light instead. It still keeps time accurately and all other LEDs work in order as I step through them manually.

By: Windell (offline) on Sunday, January 15 2012 @ 01:06 AM PST  
Windell

This is rather puzzling. For The LEDs at the 10 and 12 positions to light at the same time, the signal line LED10 would have to be both high and low at the same time; not sure how that could happen.

Any chance that one of the LED rings is not correctly oriented? Might also check for any accidental connections between lines LED10, LED5, LED1.

Windell H. Oskay
drwho(at)evilmadscientist.com
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

All times are PDT. The time is now 08:17 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Evil Mad Scientist Forum Archives — Read only!

Please visit our new forums for new discussions.

DIY Hardware for Electronic Art

The Original Egg-Bot Kit

Octolively
Interactive LED kits

Meggy Jr RGB
LED matrix game
development kit.

Business-card sized
AVR target boards

Peggy 2
LED Pegboard kits

My Account