Forum Index > General > Ask an Evil Mad Scientist!
 Building a 5' lighthouse for the backyard on a lake
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: wzenczak@centurylink.net () on Tuesday, January 17 2012 @ 10:58 AM PST (Read 1588 times)  
Anonymous: wzenczak@centurylink.net

Hello,

Wonder if someone can be of help in building a solar circuit for a lighthouse. Have no experience in electronics, but do know basic electrics and able to solder components.

Interested in having 4-5 bright led's, non blinking, with battery support and protection. Can put up to 8 solar panels (3.5"X 8" max) on the floor of the top platform. Would like to stick with something in the 3"X 4" solar panel size. Would like to have panels that are durable for soldering and mounting purposes.

Really don't know how to match up the panels, components, to the LEDs.

If someone could suggest a schematic along with the components, it would be awfully helpful.

Have most of the main parts of the lighthouse built but now need the circuit/components to layout the floor plan and build the house holding the LED's.

By: Windell (offline) on Friday, January 20 2012 @ 05:11 AM PST  
Windell

Probably the easiest and least expensive way to build this would be to take several commercial solar garden lights and to adapt them to your application. Most big home improvement stores have a big selection, and can show you what they look like when lit up. Depending on the internal configuration, you can either extend the wires to the solar cell or to the LED(s).

Windell H. Oskay
drwho(at)evilmadscientist.com
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: Anonymous: wzenczak@centurylink.net () on Saturday, January 28 2012 @ 07:24 AM PST  
Anonymous: wzenczak@centurylink.net

Thanks Wendall, Thought of that. Also thought just purchasing a solar lamp post and taking the lamp off the post. Just wanted a stronger light since I'm about 100 yards from the shore line. Or just taking a large outdoor lamp, gutting it and then putting in a circuit with multiple bright LED lights inside. That's why I wanted a multiple LED circuit. Also wanted to understand the circuitry better by building, since I may end up building several others. But appreciate the reply. Regards Wally

All times are PDT. The time is now 02:16 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Evil Mad Scientist Forum Archives — Read only!

Please visit our new forums for new discussions.

DIY Hardware for Electronic Art

The Original Egg-Bot Kit

Octolively
Interactive LED kits

Meggy Jr RGB
LED matrix game
development kit.

Business-card sized
AVR target boards

Peggy 2
LED Pegboard kits

My Account