Forum Index > Projects > Clock Kits
 Bulbdial clock
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: Jon () on Saturday, February 18 2012 @ 01:16 PM PST (Read 1118 times)  
Anonymous: Jon

I have a bulbdiall kit that Ive assembled and everything has gone without incedent, until it came to testing the red/hour PCB. Blue and Green both successfully mounted and tested, but I get nothing at all from the red in normal clock mode and testing/alignment mode. Ive ohmed out LED1-LED6, and 10 from the uC to the LEDs and its all fine, Ive tried to meter it while in alignment mode, and its seeming like the pins arent changing states. I was suspecting a damaged/zapped uC, and ordered a replacement pre-programmed uC, and the FTDI serial cable. Before I go though the hassle of desoldering the uC I tried the source code meant for arduino 1.0 software, but its still the same.

However, my own code to chase the LED's on the red ring runs completely fine, so hopefully that eliminated bad solder joints and a damaged uC as everything runs fine. At the moment the original uC is still on.

Any suggestions?

By: Windell (offline) on Saturday, February 18 2012 @ 06:51 PM PST  
Windell

Have you gone back to the original firmware since getting the red ring to work correctly? It seems that if the hardware is working, then it must be OK.

Windell H. Oskay
drwho(at)evilmadscientist.com
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: Anonymous: Jon () on Saturday, February 18 2012 @ 07:12 PM PST  
Anonymous: Jon

Yep, the red was working without any hardware fixes, just my test code put on. Ive tried the code for arduino 1.0 compiled in arduino 1.0 of course, and the older beady2.pde compiled in arduino 0023, both exhibit the same problem, with nothing on the red.

I'll probably attempt swapping the uC since it cant be the resistors, traces or LEDs, perhaps its something more internal and not something as simple as a blown pin.

By: Windell (offline) on Saturday, February 18 2012 @ 08:12 PM PST  
Windell

I have not tried the "1.0" version, so I'd recommend only using the "0023" version if there's software uncertainty.

I don't see how there could be a hardware error (in the IC) that causes the red LEDs to not light under one set of software, but not to work in the other. It doesn't really seem plausible.

Are the red LEDs lighting up brightly, and in the order that you would properly expect?

Windell H. Oskay
drwho(at)evilmadscientist.com
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

All times are PDT. The time is now 03:26 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Evil Mad Scientist Forum Archives — Read only!

Please visit our new forums for new discussions.

DIY Hardware for Electronic Art

The Original Egg-Bot Kit

Octolively
Interactive LED kits

Meggy Jr RGB
LED matrix game
development kit.

Business-card sized
AVR target boards

Peggy 2
LED Pegboard kits

My Account