Forum Index > Projects > Interactive LED projects
 circuit diagrams/ schematics
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: john () on Sunday, June 08 2008 @ 06:44 PM PDT (Read 11670 times)  
Anonymous: john

when will the circuit diagrams and schematics be available for the led coffee table to everyone

By: Windell (offline) on Sunday, June 08 2008 @ 07:49 PM PDT  
Windell

Within the next year some time; probably by the end of 2008. We need to make some changes to our kits before we can release it.

Windell H. Oskay
drwho(at)evilmadscientist.com
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: Anonymous: john () on Sunday, June 08 2008 @ 07:52 PM PDT  
Anonymous: john

could you email me a copy so far plzz

john

By: Windell (offline) on Sunday, June 08 2008 @ 08:08 PM PDT  
Windell

Nearly all of our schematics and projects are fully open source. We have *one* that isn't (yet), and one of the main reasons is that when someone requested schematics and we mailed them (privately) he decided to post them online.

This sort of thing *really* does not encourage us to work on open source designs-- and in fact really encourages us not to publish any of our projects at all. We do not "owe" anyone our designs, we just usually happen to have the good will to publish them. When people show us that our hard work is so meaningless and worthless, it does not help.

We are still planning a new version that is suitable for release, but it is an enormous amount of work and remains a low priority, in no small part because of things like this.

Windell H. Oskay

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: Anonymous: Chris () on Friday, February 20 2009 @ 10:08 PM PST  
Anonymous: Chris

I was curious if there was any update on when you would release the schematics for this design. I am an EE student at Penn State and would be very interested in playing around with this circuit for one of my classes or independent study. Thank you.

By: wyojustin (offline) on Wednesday, March 31 2010 @ 06:33 AM PDT  
wyojustin

Dr. Evil,

We (my daughter and I) are building up two of your interactive LED boards. Our first board is already up and running great, first try. Congratulations on another excellent kit! We also loved assembling MeggyJr RGB.

I was confused when I started looking around your site for the PCB layout and schematic to no avail. I could only find this(http://www.evilmadscientist.com/article.php/diningtablecircuit), which is different (resistor/capacitor values) from the kit. I can understand if you are not using the open source model for this project, but I think you should state so on the project page.

Digging around a little more I found this

This sort of thing *really* does not encourage us to work on open source designs-- and in fact really encourages us not to publish any of our projects at all. We do not "owe" anyone our designs, we just usually happen to have the good will to publish them. When people show us that our hard work is so meaningless and worthless, it does not help.

I agree that the designs are not owed to me or anyone. But your tagline is "Purveyors of fine DIY and open source hardware." I took that to mean that this project was both DIY and open source. I love to support open source projects and would not have purchased the kit had I known that the designs were being intentionally withheld.

If you are applying the open source model, please update the purchase page to make the design files easily available there.

Thanks,
We will be looking forward to your next open source kit!

Justin

Forum Apprentice
Apprentice

Profile Email    

By: Windell (offline) on Wednesday, March 31 2010 @ 11:03 AM PDT  
Windell

>I was confused when I started looking around your site for the PCB layout and schematic

The schematic diagrams are included in the instruction packet; you should already have a copy.

I agree that the designs are not owed to me or anyone. But your tagline is "Purveyors of fine DIY and open source hardware." I took that to mean that this project was both DIY and open source. I love to support open source projects and would not have purchased the kit had I known that the designs were being intentionally withheld.

I think that this is more than a bit unfair. If we said "Purveyors of fine salmon and trout products," would you assume that every product was made of both salmon and trout, or that we sold both salmon products and trout products? And, would we be out of line if we also offered tuna products that aren't made of tuna or salmon? And, if you weren't sure, wouldn't it be more reasonable to ask than to make a guess (and get upset when your trout jerky package showed up without any salmon in it)?

Some of our hardware is DIY, some is open source. I think that our tagline is a pretty apt description of what we do, and what we purvey.

If you really want to poke holes in it, the kits aren't the right place to start. Just look around and you'll see that *the vast majority* of products that our store carries are *not* open source. None of the LEDs, lead benders, microcontrollers, little connectors, motors, RTC modules, battery holders, power supplies, cables, or stickers are open source. Rather, they're "DIY hardware" -- stuff for use in or with DIY projects.

In contrast, the vast majority of our kits *are* open source. We have 12 kits and (so far) 11 of them are open source. I don't think that this is a bad ratio.

And yes, we're working on new open-source kits. Smile

Windell H. Oskay

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: wyojustin (offline) on Wednesday, March 31 2010 @ 11:22 AM PDT  
wyojustin

I'm just saying you should make the distinction on the sales page. After all, as in your restaurant example, you know what you are getting from the menu! This dish is salmon, this one is tuna. This project is open source, that one closed.... you get the idea.

Laughing Out Loud
Justin

Forum Apprentice
Apprentice

Profile Email    

By: Windell (offline) on Wednesday, March 31 2010 @ 11:33 AM PDT  
Windell

I believe that most of our open source kits are labeled as such.

It'd be sort of sad to have to go around to add a "not open source" label to all of our not-open-source products. After all, it's common practice to promote the good things, not the deficiencies.

Windell H. Oskay

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: wyojustin (offline) on Wednesday, March 31 2010 @ 01:45 PM PDT  
wyojustin

At least we agree on the fact that this is a deficiency of the kit, and the only one as far as I could tell. I think it is better to be upfront about it than to make people be wary of your business. After all, 10 of the 11 projects on this site are open source. Its easy to see where the confusion comes in; you've made your name as a pillar of the open source hardware community.

Justin

Forum Apprentice
Apprentice

Profile Email    

By: karlgg (offline) on Sunday, April 04 2010 @ 07:24 PM PDT  
karlgg

Somehow a sticker proclaiming "Lark's Vomit" comes to mind. Razz

True, that kit doesn't claim to be open, but with the number of open ones growing it seems appropriate to label the single kit as not. The "closedness" of the project has been talked about before, but not recently (until now) and can easily be overlooked.

On the other hand, it's Evil Mad Science... You're lucky it's not floating over your living room with lightning shooting out of it.

I think I am, therefore I am... I think
Forum Mad Scientist
Mad Scientist

Profile Email    

All times are PDT. The time is now 05:15 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Evil Mad Scientist Forum Archives — Read only!

Please visit our new forums for new discussions.

DIY Hardware for Electronic Art

The Original Egg-Bot Kit

Octolively
Interactive LED kits

Meggy Jr RGB
LED matrix game
development kit.

Business-card sized
AVR target boards

Peggy 2
LED Pegboard kits

My Account