Forum Index > General > Feedback
 A curious onlooker
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: Steph () on Monday, May 28 2007 @ 12:27 AM PDT (Read 7518 times)  
Anonymous: Steph

Hi Lenore, Windell, Christian, and of course Bean and Harley.
I happened upon your copious website during my sleepless and unremitting nights.
I absolutely love your website and adore your persistance of exploration. Smile
Ok LOL, some english. I find that I am a creative person with little outlets for my creativity. I am glad that people like you publish your creations for the world to see. Especially your article on fitting a T-shirt! Indeed it is few T-shirts that are tailored to women, now perhaps I will have some use for that sewing machine I recieved for christmas! Smile
Of course you seem to have struck my many other interests, including 3d prototyping, curious uses for a LED, and many interactive projects.
Of course my funds as a lowly lab technician couldn't afford the many machines and luxuries that you may have, but a Gal could dream. Smile
Perhaps given time I could amass the monsterous amount of equipment (as some may call "junk"Wink and then be able to hold a title of "Evil Mad Scientist".
Until then I would like to continue to read your articles in fancy.
-Steph

By: Lenore (offline) on Tuesday, May 29 2007 @ 11:42 AM PDT  
Lenore

Steph,
We are very glad to hear that you are enjoying our site. As to your aspirations - let nothing stand in the way! We began our accumulation of so-called "junk" back when we lived on a student budget. Our scrounging activities have gradually changed as our junk budget has increased, but there is still a lot of good junk out there for little to no money.
Enjoy your sewing machine, and remember that your seam-ripper is your friend!

Forum Scientist
Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: Windell (offline) on Tuesday, May 29 2007 @ 02:23 PM PDT  
Windell

Let me add to what Lenore has said that many of our projects are actually motivated by trying to do things with a low budget. A case in point is our sugar printer, which we started because we didn't have tens of thousands of dollars to buy a 3D printer but wanted to play with one anyway. We built it starting with $40 worth of junk printers, and used a $30 jig saw from Home Depot to do most all of the woodworking. And... the single most expensive tool that we used for the project? The sewing machine. (Okay, well, not counting my laptop!) But, you've already got a computer and a sewing machine. So, if you're resourceful you can do anything.

Windell H. Oskay
drwho(at)evilmadscientist.com
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: setlahs (offline) on Tuesday, May 29 2007 @ 02:35 PM PDT  
setlahs

For most of my junk, I recieved at my local college. They are one of the few Community colleges around that have a PCB ethc tank, photo resist setup, and complete chassis fabrication. Totally cool stuff that costs thousands, but you can use for the low cost of a single class, or free if the instructors like you. Smile They are also one of the few colleges that got to design, and build Satelites that were launched into space on a space shuttle. They also have a newly designed course covering everything mechatronics. Thats electronic and pnumatic actuators, and all their associated logic and design. But the best part is, they have a junk bin and give away tons of free electronics. I even recieved an HP 241a military spec oscilloscope, still works but needs a lot of calibration and tuning.
My parents are quite irritated at the amount of stuff i accumulated in their garage but I refuse to throw stuff out, ya never know when you need it! Smile

Forum Apprentice
Apprentice

Sacramento, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: Lenore (offline) on Wednesday, May 30 2007 @ 11:50 AM PDT  
Lenore

Colleges and universities are great sources of junk! Much of our stuff has come from various educational institutions. Keeping an eye on dumpsters and loading docks near physics and engineering buildings is a good habit to have.

Forum Scientist
Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

All times are PDT. The time is now 02:28 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Evil Mad Scientist Forum Archives — Read only!

Please visit our new forums for new discussions.

DIY Hardware for Electronic Art

The Original Egg-Bot Kit

Octolively
Interactive LED kits

Meggy Jr RGB
LED matrix game
development kit.

Business-card sized
AVR target boards

Peggy 2
LED Pegboard kits

My Account