Forum Index > General > Ask an Evil Mad Scientist!
 help
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: Matt () on Monday, April 30 2012 @ 01:04 PM PDT (Read 1539 times)  
Anonymous: Matt

Hello to make a long winded story a bit shorter I am working on an art project were I’m going to have cubes of light that react to a person and your kit “Octolively Kit” is what I had in mind for my project except for a few changes to suit the project. Each cube will have a LED and one each of the Near-infrared proximity detector (active/passive). I only need to program them for the slow fade the connections to the sensors and LEDs will be with wire because the cubes are 25” apart and there will be 27 of them. Now I have been racking my brain on how to figure this out but I am a beginner and not having much luck.
For starters will I require 4 ATmega164s for the 27 LEDs or can one Microcontroller control more than 8 LEDs independently if I do not requires the different options? I just need to program for slow fade.

So far I will require,

27 - LED Ultra bright 10 mm Warm white
4 - ATmega164, unprogramed.
27 - Infrared Phototransistor
27 - Infrared 5 mm LED
1 - 2.1 mm Barrel Jack
1 - 5 V Power Supply
8 - 0.1 μF ceramic capacitors
27 - 100 Ohm resisters.
4 - 100 μF electrolytic capacitors

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks.
Matt.

By: Lenore (offline) on Monday, April 30 2012 @ 05:58 PM PDT  
Lenore

Hi Matt,
Yes, one ATmega164 microcontroller can control more than 8 LEDs, and the one on the Octolively is already doing much more than just that. Among other things, it is controlling the eight IR LEDs and the eight phototransistors. The limitation set on the microcontroller is not necessarily in the program size, but in this case one limitation is in the number of inputs and outputs.

If you want to base your project on the Octolively, one way to approach it would be to get four Octolively kits, and wire up the sensor pairs and LEDs from the PCB locations. You can then select the slow fade program from the boards.

Forum Scientist
Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: Anonymous: matt () on Wednesday, May 02 2012 @ 09:19 AM PDT  
Anonymous: matt

Thank you for the input! another question if I go for 4 Octolively boards can I keep it on the slow fade, if it is set for slow fade? By unplugging or turning off or on will it always return to slow fade or will i need to select slow fade again after turning back on?

By: Windell (offline) on Wednesday, May 02 2012 @ 09:38 AM PDT  
Windell

The settings are saved in the EEPROM (non-volatile memory), so each board will remember its configuration until you change it again.

Windell H. Oskay
drwho(at)evilmadscientist.com
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: Anonymous: matt () on Thursday, May 03 2012 @ 07:56 AM PDT  
Anonymous: matt

Perfect! thank you so much.

All times are PDT. The time is now 02:54 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Evil Mad Scientist Forum Archives — Read only!

Please visit our new forums for new discussions.

DIY Hardware for Electronic Art

The Original Egg-Bot Kit

Octolively
Interactive LED kits

Meggy Jr RGB
LED matrix game
development kit.

Business-card sized
AVR target boards

Peggy 2
LED Pegboard kits

My Account