Forum Index > Projects > Egg-Bot
 Skew
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: tastewar () on Monday, May 14 2012 @ 02:40 PM PDT (Read 1378 times)  
Anonymous: tastewar

I bought an egg-bot for my 12 y.o. daughter, and she put it together almost all by herself. I supervised, but had little to actually do, other than occasionally tighten something tighter or loosen something I'd tightened, etc.

The device is awesome, and lots of fun, and working quite well now. Except for one minor detail: the drawings are generally skewed a bit, so that for instance text that should be straight comes out looking italic. Here (hopefully...) is a flickr pic of an example of such a drawing:

Egg 1 by tastewar, on Flickr

What would cause this? It doesn't look like it's slippage (to me) because it seems like the designs properly go around 100%/360 degrees and line up.

By: Windell (offline) on Monday, May 14 2012 @ 10:47 PM PDT  
Windell

First off, it's looks like your egg *is* wobbling (or slipping or precessing) as the egg turns. You've got a stripe that should be an even circle around the egg that doesn't meet up after a full revolution.

The most common cause of this is poor coupling between the egg and the egg motor. When the egg is properly positioned, the rubber cup contacts it all the way around, and (more or less) the egg cannot be rotated with respect to the motor.

For the other issue-- the "italics," the most likely issue is again one of alignment. Check that the widest part of the egg is dead-center in front of the pen-motor shaft. Check that the pen motor position is roughly in the center of the vertical slots. Check that every part of the pen arm is rigidly screwed together, with no play (except for the hinge) and that the pen is secured in place.

I'd also suggest starting much simpler-- maybe with drawing a square or the "hello world" example file.

Windell H. Oskay
drwho(at)evilmadscientist.com
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

All times are PDT. The time is now 07:54 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Evil Mad Scientist Forum Archives — Read only!

Please visit our new forums for new discussions.

DIY Hardware for Electronic Art

The Original Egg-Bot Kit

Octolively
Interactive LED kits

Meggy Jr RGB
LED matrix game
development kit.

Business-card sized
AVR target boards

Peggy 2
LED Pegboard kits

My Account