Forum Index > Projects > Larson Scanner kit and LED Menorah kit support
 Scanner speed - Big LEDs vs regular ones?
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: Jeff () on Friday, May 18 2012 @ 01:54 AM PDT (Read 2224 times)  
Anonymous: Jeff

I just assembled two Larson Scanner kits, one with the big LEDs and one with the regular ones. They work great!

One question though...if I set them up so they're running the same speed and have the same jumper, one runs faster than the other. I would have expected that they would run at the same speed, and when one was in the middle of the LEDs, the other would be at one end, etc. Instead, they get in sync for a moment, with the lights bouncing together identically, then as one goes slightly faster, it gets ahead...and so on.

Note that they are not connected together, this is just two independent kits running sid-by-side.

Do the different LEDs make them run at slightly different speeds? Would a battery with a lower charge affect the speed?

I'm just curious.

Jeff

By: Windell (offline) on Saturday, May 19 2012 @ 11:41 PM PDT  
Windell

The microcontrollers in those kits run on their internal oscillators, each of which can vary by up to 10% or so. I believe that it is possible to use an ISP programmer to trim this somewhat via some calibration bytes, but I don't think that you'll be able to get true synchronization between two units without adding a precision reference or communication, e.g., synchronization pulses.

Windell H. Oskay
drwho(at)evilmadscientist.com
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

All times are PDT. The time is now 09:01 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Evil Mad Scientist Forum Archives — Read only!

Please visit our new forums for new discussions.

DIY Hardware for Electronic Art

The Original Egg-Bot Kit

Octolively
Interactive LED kits

Meggy Jr RGB
LED matrix game
development kit.

Business-card sized
AVR target boards

Peggy 2
LED Pegboard kits

My Account