Forum Index > Projects > Egg-Bot
 Not matching
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: Carl () on Saturday, May 26 2012 @ 11:24 AM PDT (Read 1934 times)  
Anonymous: Carl

I bought an egg bot back in December. It has been working great until now. The pattern all of a sudden coming from the inkscape to the eggbot does not match. The center pattern now has moved to the lower edge around the egg. The top and bottom patterns still also want to go there. There is a small circle in the stars on the top and bottom edge going around the egg but the circle no longer goes in the center of the egg but along side of it.

It is not slipping I have double checked that. The pattern just doesn't seem to be followed by the egg bot.

Thanks

By: Lenore (offline) on Saturday, May 26 2012 @ 04:23 PM PDT  
Lenore

Hi Carl,
It sounds like something has shifted in the way you set up the Eggbot. A good place for you to start with debugging would be the documentation site section on improving precision:
http://wiki.evilmadscience.com/Improving_precision
Let me know if that helps.
Lenore

(edit: referenced wrong section--sorry!)

Forum Scientist
Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: Windell (offline) on Saturday, May 26 2012 @ 04:30 PM PDT  
Windell

>The center pattern now has moved to the lower edge around the egg.

There are a few things that could be going on here.

Open up the Eggbot Control Inkscape extension, and select the "options" tab. Make sure that "Start with pen centered" is selected.

Also, make sure that you are looking at the whole drawing in Inkscape. If you have an object that doesn't fit in the template, that could be causing the issue. Choose View>Zoom>Drawing to make sure that the entire drawing fits in the visible window of your screen, and then choose Edit>Select All. Make sure that the dotted line drawn around your entire selection fits entirely within the template.

If none of that helps, start over with a new template (fresh from the example set) and see if you can draw simple objects, like just one circle or square. If there's a hardware problem, that might help to show it.

Windell H. Oskay
drwho(at)evilmadscientist.com
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: Anonymous: Carl () on Saturday, May 26 2012 @ 04:35 PM PDT  

Ty for trying but that wasn't it. Hard to explain but on the inkscape graph. It had a top solid line and a bottom solid line, then I moved down a few squares and did a second solid line. One end the line will print correct and on the other end they mark almost on top of each other.

I also had flowers evenly spaced around the pattern one prints in the middle where it belongs one will print higher up and the new lower down etc. They are not even around as they are on the graph. The stars I put have circles in them one circle is on the top of the star one beside on have way thru the star line but none are centered as they are on the graph.

I have gone back and tried to redo it now I have hit something so that when I do a outline of a star using the inkscape star it comes out solid and not just an outline now. I have tried over and over again to get this to work out right. It just will not copy the graph as it appears on the inkscape graph

By: Windell (offline) on Saturday, May 26 2012 @ 04:40 PM PDT  
Windell

>Ty for trying but that wasn't it.

I'm afraid that I don't understand. Were you unable to draw a simple circle or square? Can you please describe more clearly what went wrong in this process?

Windell H. Oskay
drwho(at)evilmadscientist.com
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: dnewman (offline) on Saturday, May 26 2012 @ 05:20 PM PDT  
dnewman

I have gone back and tried to redo it now I have hit something so that when I do a outline of a star using the inkscape star it comes out solid and not just an outline now. I have tried over and over again to get this to work out right. It just will not copy the graph as it appears on the inkscape graph

While this isn't your problem, I wanted to comment on your observation above. Inkscape fills are
NOT drawn by the Eggbot. To see what the Eggbot will draw, be sure to put Inkscape into "outline" mode (View -> Display Mode -> Outline). To draw fills, you need to use one of the fill techniques described at the Eggbot documentation site,

http://wiki.evilmadscience.com/Creating_filled_regions

As an aside, I have seen cases where one starts out with an Eggbot template, but then after applying transformations to everything in the drawing you end up with the entire document/drawing translated and/or scaled off of what was the original Eggbot template. You don't see this in Inkscape but when you go to plot the drawing, you get effects which sound similar to some of the things you have described. You might want to start fresh with a known good Eggbot template and a simple drawing (e.g., a star) and see if it plots properly. Better yet, try one of the known good Eggbot sample drawings and see if it plots okay,

http://code.google.com/p/eggbotcode/downloads/detail?name=EB_Example_Set_2010_10_09.zip&can=2&q=

If a known good example drawing doesn't work out okay, then something is, obviously, wrong. If it plots okay, then the issue is likely with transformations which have occurred to your document and which aren't evident when you view it in Inkscape but are there nonetheless.

Regards,
Dan

Cow Canyon Saddle Clear Sky Chart

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Mt. Baldy,
California

Profile Email    

By: Anonymous: Carl () on Tuesday, May 29 2012 @ 10:40 AM PDT  

I have gone back now and tried to draw the HoneyComb2 pattern and the honey combs over lap in some places not all. It draws 2 honeycombs then one on top of those 2 and the one on top of the first two does not meet where the pen joins the start line and the end line. After all the honeycombs are drawn from top to bottom then the arm comes back in to fill in the missing honeycombs on each row this is where they start to overlap in places.

Then I tested the Traditional3 pattern and other than the loops that cross each other being almost on top of each other to look like one line the rest did come out correct.

I then drew a few circles and stars random in the 3200x800 area and it seems correct. I then went back to the pattern I was trying before that I had made and it still is not correct so I am going to try and redo the whole pattern trying to make sure everything is in the correct area as it does appear to be and see what happens.

I will let you know as soon as I find out. I am not sure why the honeycombs pattern doesn't print correct though. I could do a picture of what I am talking about if I could figure out how to post it on here.

By: Anonymous: Carl () on Wednesday, May 30 2012 @ 11:58 AM PDT  

I have gone back and tested each thing as I added it to the template on inkscape. I am not sure but maybe when you import and image outline from another place after you embed it maybe you need to save that image first so that it is the svg file. I did that and it seems to work but for some reason the image is then so light on the template you can hardly see it. This is making it harder to add other lines and images to the template because you can't tell if they are overlapping.

I did go to the fill-stroke option to try and find if I could make the imported image line darker but not sure that you can do that.

All times are PDT. The time is now 04:31 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Evil Mad Scientist Forum Archives — Read only!

Please visit our new forums for new discussions.

DIY Hardware for Electronic Art

The Original Egg-Bot Kit

Octolively
Interactive LED kits

Meggy Jr RGB
LED matrix game
development kit.

Business-card sized
AVR target boards

Peggy 2
LED Pegboard kits

My Account