Forum Index > General > Ask an Evil Mad Scientist!
 Problem Flashing Bootloader to ATMEGA328P with USBtinyISP
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: Mache () on Friday, June 01 2012 @ 09:39 AM PDT (Read 2941 times)  
Anonymous: Mache

I have built a v3.2 HeaterMeter that will control my home BBQ smoker with a ATMEGA328P (the link to this project is here http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9270072103/m/5721075126 and here https://github.com/CapnBry/HeaterMeter/wiki/Heatermeter-hardware), I purchased and built a USBtinyISP and have been having problems flashing the bootloader onto the HeaterMeter.

After installing the Arduino IDE on my Windowws 7 laptop, I attached the B USB cable to the USBtinyISP, the other end of the USB cable to my laptop, and installed the USBtinyISP drivers onto Windows 7.

USBtiny is listed under libusb-win32 devices in the Device Manager. The Driver Provider is libusb-win32, Driver Date 1/17/2012, Driver Version 1.2.6.0, and the Digital Signer is Not digitally signed. The Device type is libusb-win32 devices and the Location is Port_#0001.Hub_#0003. Device status is This device is working properly. Diver files are C:\Windows\system32\drivers\libusb0.sys, C:\Windows\system32\libusb0.dll, C:\Windows\syswow64\libusb0.dll. Provider is http://libusb-win32.sourceforge.net.

When I next attach the USB cable to my laptop and the USBtinyISP to the Heatermeter via the HeaterMeter's 6-pin ICSP header, the green LED glows on the USBtinyISP.

Using the Arduni GUI software I selected Arduino Uno from the Tools, Board menu and selected USBtinyISP from the Tools, Programmer menu. When I select Tools, Burn Bootloader, I get a brief blink of the red LED on the USBtinyISP and the following error message on my laptop.

avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

Turning on a verbose mode I get the following additional information:

C:\Patches\Arduino\arduino-1.0.1\hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Patches\Arduino\arduino-1.0.1\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -patmega328p -cusbtiny -e -Ulock:w:0x3F:m -Uefuse:w:0x05:m -Uhfuse:w:0xde:m -Ulfuse:w:0xff:m

avrdude: Version 5.11, compiled on Sep 2 2011 at 19:38:36
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Patches\Arduino\arduino-1.0.1\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port : lpt1
Using Programmer : usbtiny
avrdude: usbdev_open(): Found USBtinyISP, bus:device: bus-0:\\.\libusb0-0001--0x1781-0x0c9f
AVR Part : ATMEGA328P
Chip Erase delay : 9000 us
PAGEL : PD7
BS2 : PC2
RESET disposition : dedicated
RETRY pulse : SCK
serial program mode : yes
parallel program mode : yes
Timeout : 200
StabDelay : 100
CmdexeDelay : 25
SyncLoops : 32
ByteDelay : 0
PollIndex : 3
PollValue : 0x53
Memory Detail :

Block Poll Page Polled
Memory Type Mode Delay Size Indx Paged Size Size #Pages MinW MaxW ReadBack
----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
eeprom 65 20 4 0 no 1024 4 0 3600 3600 0xff 0xff
Block Poll Page Polled
----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
flash 65 6 128 0 yes 32768 128 256 4500 4500 0xff 0xff
Block Poll Page Polled
lfuse 0 0 0 0 no 1 0 0 4500 4500 0x00 0x00
Block Poll Page Polled
hfuse 0 0 0 0 no 1 0 0 4500 4500 0x00 0x00
Block Poll Page Polled
efuse 0 0 0 0 no 1 0 0 4500 4500 0x00 0x00
Block Poll Page Polled
lock 0 0 0 0 no 1 0 0 4500 4500 0x00 0x00
Block Poll Page Polled
calibration 0 0 0 0 no 1 0 0 0 0 0x00 0x00
Block Poll Page Polled
signature 0 0 0 0 no 3 0 0 0 0 0x00 0x00

Programmer Type : USBtiny
Description : USBtiny simple USB programmer, http://www.ladyada.net/make/usbtinyisp/
avrdude: programmer operation not supported

avrdude: Using SCK period of 10 usec
CMD: [ac 53 00 00] [00 00 00 00]
CMD: [ac 53 00 00] [00 00 00 00]
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

avrdude done. Thank you.

I have checked the connectivity on the pins of the ATMEGA328P chip on the HeaterMeter back to the pins on the ribbon cable headers of the USBtinyISP with an OHM meter and they are fine.

What am I doing wrong?

-- Mache

By: Windell (offline) on Friday, June 01 2012 @ 10:14 AM PDT  
Windell

That error is a "blanket" error, which kind of means (for lack of a better term), "it didn't work."

There could be a problem with the target that you're trying to program, or there could be a problem with the way that the USBtinyISP is built, or there could be a problem with the connection.

- If you have another target to test your USBtinyISP with, I'd suggest that you try it out on that target, to make sure that your programmer is working. (If you're local to our shop, you can stop by to test it out on something else, too.)

- Make sure that the ribbon cable to your target is correctly oriented on both ends.

- Make sure that your target has power from exactly one source (not two or zero sources) while trying to program. (Either power the board from its usual source, OR program it from the USBtiny.)

- Make sure that your ATmega328P is correctly installed, and that the connections on the target board are all good.

- Make sure that the resonator is installed correctly-- it will absolutely not function without it.

- Finally, I don't understand why you'd pick UNO firmware for this-- your board is clearly a Duemilanove compatible, not an UNO compatible. That shouldn't affect your ability to program the bootloader, but it will definitely cause problems once you switch over to the FTDI interface.

Windell H. Oskay
drwho(at)evilmadscientist.com
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: Anonymous: Mache () on Friday, June 01 2012 @ 10:55 AM PDT  
Anonymous: Mache

I am local to the shop and appreciate the offer to drop by to check out the efficacy of the USBtinyISP build.

See you late this afternoon,

Best regards and thank you,

-- Mache

All times are PDT. The time is now 02:42 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Evil Mad Scientist Forum Archives — Read only!

Please visit our new forums for new discussions.

DIY Hardware for Electronic Art

The Original Egg-Bot Kit

Octolively
Interactive LED kits

Meggy Jr RGB
LED matrix game
development kit.

Business-card sized
AVR target boards

Peggy 2
LED Pegboard kits

My Account