Forum Index > General > Where the heck do you get a ....
 Cheap AVR Microcontrollers, etc.
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: Chris () on Sunday, July 27 2008 @ 02:36 PM PDT (Read 8388 times)  
Anonymous: Chris

Where would be a good place to look for a cheap microcontrollers and other assorted old/new computer parts. I don't have access to large amounts of the moneys, but I love fooling around with various computer parts. Also, I've never done any programming, except for some Basic on a TI-83+ Graphics Calculator, and I'd love to see if I could potentially program one of those oh-so-spiffy microcontrollers. Sadly, I don't have $80 to drop on something I may never use.

Any help/suggestions would be lovely. =)
thanks.

By: Windell (offline) on Sunday, July 27 2008 @ 06:29 PM PDT  
Windell

The overall least-expensive approach depends on other details as well. Do you have a programmer, are you planning to buy one, or planning to make one, or would you rather just ignore the problem? Do you want to just start with a single microcontroller system, or do you want a programmer and a whole bunch of chips to play with? Also, what do you need the other assorted parts for? In any case look at our surplus electronics link list for some hints.

Windell H. Oskay
drwho(at)evilmadscientist.com
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: Anonymous: Chris () on Sunday, July 27 2008 @ 07:05 PM PDT  

By programmer do you mean a compiler or something that allows you to interface with the chip? And I really only need one chip to mess around with.

Also, I don't need any computer parts at the moment, but I'd like to have access to someplace that sells 'em cheap. =)

thanks, I'll look around at the various shops.

By: Windell (offline) on Sunday, July 27 2008 @ 10:34 PM PDT  
Windell

A programmer is a necessary hardware interface between your computer (which can use a free compiler) and the microcontroller. Nicer ones often connect to your computer by USB.

If you aren't planning to use more than one microcontroller in the immediate future, a good solution is an <A HREF="http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=50">Arduino</A> (about $40 with power supply). It's an AVR microcontroller in an easy to use format with a built-in programmer. Not the most versatile, perhaps, but it is much easier to get started there than with most other ways to approach the problem.

Windell H. Oskay
drwho(at)evilmadscientist.com
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: Anonymous: Chris () on Tuesday, July 29 2008 @ 02:38 AM PDT  

Thanks, I'll check it out. =)

All times are PDT. The time is now 09:29 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Evil Mad Scientist Forum Archives — Read only!

Please visit our new forums for new discussions.

DIY Hardware for Electronic Art

The Original Egg-Bot Kit

Octolively
Interactive LED kits

Meggy Jr RGB
LED matrix game
development kit.

Business-card sized
AVR target boards

Peggy 2
LED Pegboard kits

My Account