Forum Index > General > Ask an Evil Mad Scientist!
 Microwave Radiation emitter
 |  Printable Version
By: Gurenmark2 (offline) on Friday, August 15 2008 @ 12:46 AM PDT (Read 25649 times)  
Gurenmark2

Hello I am a Mechanical Engineer major just starting college and was interested in making a Microwave Radiation emitter similar to the one used in the video at the link bellow this. The video is an anime so I dont know if a Microwave Radiation emitter like the one in the anime is possible but I want to build one obviously on a much smaller one than the one in this anime. The one using a microwave radiation emitter is the red mecha with the silver hand. Near the beggining of the video it grabs the head of another mecha and turns the microwave radiation emitter on and frys the other mecha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5922WhbegUE

I want to build one in my home and I need a list of materials I need and what safety procautions I should take to make sure I dont hurt myself. I know I probably wont be able to build one as powerful as the one in the anime but I want to be able to use it to warp metal and I'd like to make it as small as possible.

Forum Apprentice
Apprentice

Profile Email    

By: Windell (offline) on Sunday, August 31 2008 @ 04:15 AM PDT  
Windell

I deleted a reply to your question that ran afoul of our policy against mean-spirited comments.

But, perhaps Mr. Mean Spirited did have a point. Your question seems to be something of the form "I saw this thing in a cartoon. Can you help me do it?" Unfortunately, the answer to a question like that is invariably in the negative. If you have something a little more grounded in reality, we might be able to be more helpful.

Windell H. Oskay
drwho(at)evilmadscientist.com
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: Anonymous: MarcusBrutus () on Saturday, September 06 2008 @ 11:05 PM PDT  
Anonymous: MarcusBrutus

Using the magnetron outside of a microwave is pretty dangerous, there's a very real possibility of blindness, tumors, infertility (well on your way to a Darwin award Wink ) not to mention those pesky 3rd degree burns.

Anyway, it's definitely possible to make a microwave weapon, but not anything you'd be able to use as a hand held "pistol". And most kitchen microwave ovens are a pitiful 2-3kw, I'd look into salvaging an old airport/telecommunications radar emitter as they are 100+kw. Military radar emitters are known to kill small wildlife, birds, rabbits, etc.

If you do actually build one, it's generally not recommended to point it at a metal object or surface, as microwaves readily reflect.

By: Anonymous: Kim () on Monday, January 26 2009 @ 04:42 PM PST  
Anonymous: Kim

www.freedomsphoenix.com/Find-Freedom.htm?At=039605

This website had some interesting information about your project. I work in customer service and recently recieved a phone call from a customer complaining that someone was emitting microwaves at her through her window. This is all I found that sounded legitimate though.

By: karlgg (offline) on Tuesday, January 27 2009 @ 12:51 AM PST  
karlgg

As was briefly mentioned above, metals generally reflect microwaves. If they didn't, RADAR wouldn't work, because nothing would bounce back. Microwave ovens work like they do because the energy is absorbed by water, which meat and vegetables (and this cup of coffee) are just chock full of. The metal inside the oven reflects the energy to keep it inside.

Running an unshielded magnetron pointed at a piece of metal would be like running your microwave oven inside-out. The only 'safety precaution' you need is to not do it.

And check the ARRL and FCC sites about them, if you really need to know about microwave safety issues... You're legally supposed to have a radio license just to unscrew the panel on one.

I think I am, therefore I am... I think
Forum Mad Scientist
Mad Scientist

Profile Email    

By: Anonymous: Burt, just Burt () on Tuesday, February 10 2009 @ 03:20 PM PST  
Anonymous: Burt, just Burt

Let me start out by saying I am an auto mechanic and I was staring at my microwave oven while heating up some coffee one day and it dawned on me that hey I could use this. Now after reading your past entries this so called ray gun would be perfect for the application i have in mind. To make a long story short I want to bring back the steam engine, but alas thats the easy part. The wall that I've somewhat collided with is determining how much my microwave needs to be putting out to vaporize the water being used and how much power one would need to supply to maintain the emitters demand. I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

Thanks guys

By: karlgg (offline) on Tuesday, February 17 2009 @ 02:12 AM PST  
karlgg

I would suspect that the energy used to drive a magnetron to boil water would outstrip the useful energy subsequently drawn from the steam generated. So, while such a thing would probably work, it wouldn't have the oomph you could have received from an electric motor using the same power supply.

Add to that, the aforementioned FCC license and personal safety issues.

Google "Stirling engine" for some different steam engine-related ideas. They'll run on pretty much anything, from solar magnifiers to the heat of your hand. But it's probably best to leave the microwave to make your go-juice.

I think I am, therefore I am... I think
Forum Mad Scientist
Mad Scientist

Profile Email    

By: Anonymous: Burt, just Burt () on Sunday, March 01 2009 @ 05:23 PM PST  
Anonymous: Burt, just Burt

Thank you karlgg, i suspect you're right. The past few days I have been discussing this matter with a friend of mine who used to work for GM and is now a teacher of automotive technologies. He came to about the same conculsion as you, also he reminded me of the safety precautions that would be a must. I'll just have to search elsewhere to find a more plausible solution. I'll try to post any breakthroughs I stumble upon, Burt out.

By: Anonymous: Random () on Friday, November 13 2009 @ 07:02 AM PST  
Anonymous: Random

If you're able to do this, please make a video of you shooting a an apple off of someone's head, but instead of an apple, make it a t-bone steak, and instead of knocking it off his head, just make it medium-well, and when it's done toss him a bottle of A-1 and a fork and knife and go at it..ooooh yeaaaahh.

By: Anonymous: Anonymous () on Sunday, February 19 2012 @ 09:00 AM PST  
Anonymous: Anonymous

@ Gurenmark2
Well, it is possible to get a microwave emitter from your microwave oven. Generating microwaves is one thing, but generating enough of them to warp metal is another. Placing a metal object in a microwave would cause sparks to fly from it instead of warping it. If you want to destroy metal objects with cool handheld microwave emitters so badly, then I suggest that you look up the U.S Military's microwave laser project. I would say that their laser is quite a bit more sizeable than what you propose.

By: sdb (offline) on Tuesday, February 21 2012 @ 06:46 PM PST  
sdb

re. warping metal... How about melting it to liquid?

google:

microwave smelter

Forum Apprentice
Apprentice

By: Anonymous: JohnKennedy () on Wednesday, February 22 2012 @ 09:14 AM PST  
Anonymous: JohnKennedy

As was temporarily described above, materials usually indicate micro waves. If they didn't, RADAR wouldn't perform, because nothing would recovery. Microwaves perform like they do because the power is consumed by drinking water, which meat and veggies (and this cup of coffee) are just filled with. The steel in the range shows the power to keep it within.

Running an unshielded magnetron indicated at a item of steel would be like managing your micro-wave inside-out. The only 'safety precaution' you need is to not do it.

And examine the ARRL and FCC websites about them, if you really need to know about microwave range concerns of protection... You're lawfully expected to have a r / c stations certificate just to unscrew the section on one.

All times are PDT. The time is now 05:00 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Evil Mad Scientist Forum Archives — Read only!

Please visit our new forums for new discussions.

DIY Hardware for Electronic Art

The Original Egg-Bot Kit

Octolively
Interactive LED kits

Meggy Jr RGB
LED matrix game
development kit.

Business-card sized
AVR target boards

Peggy 2
LED Pegboard kits

My Account