Forum Index > General > Feedback
 Meggy jr is most excellent!
 |  Printable Version
By: taboularasa (offline) on Saturday, November 29 2008 @ 02:55 PM PST (Read 2801 times)  
taboularasa

I just got done building my first Meggy jr and then playing Attack of the Killer Cherry Tomatoes for about 30 minutes. I have to say that this is an outstanding kit! My brain is warm and glowing with ideas for games to build on this thing. Thank you for making this! I have also shown it around to a couple of others in my department (UCLA Design / Media Arts) and we have so far noticed a couple of things that could improve the next revision.

1)could the large electrolytic capacitor be placed somewhere besides it's current location? the protrusion makes it a little wonky when trying to get the matrix flush and parallel with the board.

2)someone wanted to know if it were possible to connect two Meggy jr together and play head to head. I thought that would be pretty keen also.

These are just some suggestions after a very brief first impression. But over all this thing is a total blast, thanks again.

Forum Apprentice
Apprentice

Profile Email    

By: Windell (offline) on Saturday, November 29 2008 @ 06:13 PM PST  
Windell

Great-- yours is our first field report of a Meggy build!

1)could the large electrolytic capacitor be placed somewhere besides it's current location? the protrusion makes it a little wonky when trying to get the matrix flush and parallel with the board.

Yes; it ended up needing a larger cap than we had initially planned. I think that next time we'll instead use two in parallel of smaller outer diameter. For this one, it works well to get the LED display flush by placing it face down with the PCB on top, and soldering one corner pin first, leveling it, and then soldering the other corner pins to keep it level.

someone wanted to know if it were possible to connect two Meggy jr together and play head to head. I thought that would be pretty keen also.

Yes, absolutely! The serial port pins (TX/RX) are left unused by the Meggy Jr hardware, and all you really need to do is build a custom cable that links the two 6-pin serial port headers together-- TX of each goes to RX of the other. We'll probably build an example demo of doing this if you don't get to it first. Wink

Windell H. Oskay
drwho(at)evilmadscientist.com
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

All times are PDT. The time is now 06:56 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Evil Mad Scientist Forum Archives — Read only!

Please visit our new forums for new discussions.

DIY Hardware for Electronic Art

The Original Egg-Bot Kit

Octolively
Interactive LED kits

Meggy Jr RGB
LED matrix game
development kit.

Business-card sized
AVR target boards

Peggy 2
LED Pegboard kits

My Account