Forum Index > Projects > Larson Scanner kit and LED Menorah kit support
 Momentary Switch/USB
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: madsolder () on Sunday, December 07 2008 @ 08:07 PM PST (Read 5778 times)  
Anonymous: madsolder

I have two of these fabulous kits in my possession that I am trying to get done prior to Hanukkah. I want my kits to be powered off USB. I figure this should be possible because the chip runs on 2.3-5.5 volts. I may just throw a resistor in to help bring it down closer 4.5 though.

The big problem is that I don't want to have to unplug the USB every time I want to cycle the lights. I picked up a tiny momentary switch, but it is normally open which is just the opposite of what I need.
Can the reset pin be used in someway to cycle the program?
Maybe I need a circuit like this one
http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/trancirc.htm#inverter

I think I am going to resort to unplugging the USB. It is only once a day I guess. Just hoping someone would throw and idea at me that I hadn't thought of. Thanks all.

By: Windell (offline) on Sunday, December 07 2008 @ 08:45 PM PST  
Windell

You can use USB to power the circuit, but I'd suggest adding a resistor between the 5V from the computer and the chip-- maybe 50-200 ohms or so. To use your switch, hook it between pin 1 and ground (or pin 10).

Windell H. Oskay
drwho(at)evilmadscientist.com
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: Anonymous: madsolder () on Monday, December 15 2008 @ 07:08 PM PST  
Anonymous: madsolder

Finished it a couple nights ago. Is there a place to post photos of individual projects made with this kit? The switch works great. I added a 100 ohm resistor at you suggestion. I am really happy with it and getting ready to send it off to my friend. One final question.

The LED connected to pin 10 and 11 (ground) appears to be dimmer then the others. This is especially noticeable when it and the center are the only ones on. Is this normal?

By: Windell (offline) on Monday, December 15 2008 @ 07:14 PM PST  
Windell

You can post projects in the Evil Mad Science Auxiliary; see the link on the right hand column of this page. The pin on the end is sometimes a bit dimmer-- but the difference is normally pretty minor. I wonder if it's made worse by using the USB power-- it might look better with a higher-value resistor.

Windell H. Oskay
drwho(at)evilmadscientist.com
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/

Forum Evil Scientist
Evil Scientist

Sunnyvale, CA

Profile Email Website  

All times are PDT. The time is now 06:52 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Evil Mad Scientist Forum Archives — Read only!

Please visit our new forums for new discussions.

DIY Hardware for Electronic Art

The Original Egg-Bot Kit

Octolively
Interactive LED kits

Meggy Jr RGB
LED matrix game
development kit.

Business-card sized
AVR target boards

Peggy 2
LED Pegboard kits

My Account